1997 1500 305 cubic in tuner options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahirlo

Reaction score
Hello Guys
New to the board just picked up a 1997 1500 Silverado with a 305 and automatic are there any tuners available for this setup ?
I would like to get a code reader as well can anyone recommend a quality product
Thanks

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Black Bear Performance, Nelson Performance and several other mail order tuners offer tuning for the '96-'97 black box PCMs in these trucks. If you're talking about software you can tune with yourself then unfortunately the only thing available is JET's Dynamic Spectrum Tuner. Personally I would not spend any money on a handheld programmer like a Hypertech.

As far as the code reader, I use a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle and my phone. Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Mestart-OBDII-OBD2-Bluetooth-Car/dp/B01HXGX8V6

That combined with an app like Torque or DashCommand will turn your phone into a great code reader and mini gauge cluster. They have some basic data logging abilities as well. Keep in mind that those cheap Bluetooth OBD2 dongles are hit and miss, though. You may have to try a couple different kinds before you find one that actually works with your specific truck. The only one I've bought/used that has worked flawlessly with every single vehicle I've tried it on is a PLX Kiwi, the older version of this one.

https://www.amazon.com/PLX-Devices-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Android/dp/B00U0YNMS8

Quite a bit more money, but in my experience they work with everything that has an OBD2 diagnostic port.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
0411 swap and HP Tuners or EFI live. They built the 2001 & 2002 Vans with an 0411 and a 305 too so a factory base file exist just like it does for a 350.