1996 Chevrolet c3500HD CrewCab BEAST - Junkyard Rescue Take II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Pieced back together what I could find, like inner fender, fan shroud, radiator, air box, etc. Also put the hood on by myself! Looks better than when I started.

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk Pro

gstubbz

Reaction score
So the junkyard owner said next time he has a vehicle to pick up in Susanville he will haul it out for me. Saves me renting a trailer and killing my dodge towing it. Also asked about the axles, he said $1500 for the pair. Which is pretty reasonable for a 70f/80r when people can get $1200 just for a Chevy dana 60 front axle. I'll probably need to find a divorced 205 passenger drop case from a 70s dodge if I go that route.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Use a coathanger, baling wire, etc. and tie that torque converter into place so it can't slide off and make a huge mess. Then with the wheels chocked (don't count on the rotor rust holding), climb under and gently pop the end of the shift cable off the small arm coming out of the range switch ("neutral safety switch"), then you can move it two notches out of park into neutral. No biggie at all. Just again be sure you've chocked the wheels so it can't roll over you. Also beware it's pretty common for the plastic on that shift cable end to be really brittle. I use a door panel tool as it's got a nice angled head and soft tips, lets me get some leverage with less risk of breakage than using a screwdriver.

Richard

seth_fisher

Reaction score
Making progress that Dana 70 is worth it's weight in gold.....that was the original option for Monroe trucks when they did their conversions....good luck on a divorced 205.....nv4500 is a good trans, but by the time your done that truck is gonna weigh over 8k...nv4500s are only rated for 15k......just a little food for thought

seth_fisher

Reaction score
So the junkyard owner said next time he has a vehicle to pick up in Susanville he will haul it out for me. Saves me renting a trailer and killing my dodge towing it. Also asked about the axles, he said $1500 for the pair. Which is pretty reasonable for a 70f/80r when people can get $1200 just for a Chevy dana 60 front axle. I'll probably need to find a divorced 205 passenger drop case from a 70s dodge if I go that route.

If you get that Dana 70 front axle, look into some Ford E450 front brake rotors, almost as big as the c3500hd

gstubbz

Reaction score
I took the steering column out of my parts 95 truck to install in the crew cab, at least temporarily so I can turn the tires when I move it. Interesting tidbit, these have a proper u-joint on the dash side of the firewall. Not a lame ass rag joint! I took a pic of it but I guess my iPhone deleted the photo. It's done that quite often lately, damn phone!

gstubbz

Reaction score
Much jealousy

Aww thanks! I look so forward to this thing and I'll be genuinely excited when I get to drive it for the first time.

Use a coathanger, baling wire, etc. and tie that torque converter into place so it can't slide off and make a huge mess. Then with the wheels chocked (don't count on the rotor rust holding), climb under and gently pop the end of the shift cable off the small arm coming out of the range switch ("neutral safety switch"), then you can move it two notches out of park into neutral. No biggie at all. Just again be sure you've chocked the wheels so it can't roll over you. Also beware it's pretty common for the plastic on that shift cable end to be really brittle. I use a door panel tool as it's got a nice angled head and soft tips, lets me get some leverage with less risk of breakage than using a screwdriver.

Richard

Thanks for the advice! I would have totally spaced the torque converter. Fortunately the cable for the transmission shifter was still in tact so I popped it on the temporary steering column and that seems to work out okay! I actually broke the plastic piece for the shift cable removing the steering column for my parts truck.

Making progress that Dana 70 is worth it's weight in gold.....that was the original option for Monroe trucks when they did their conversions....good luck on a divorced 205.....nv4500 is a good trans, but by the time your done that truck is gonna weigh over 8k...nv4500s are only rated for 15k......just a little food for thought

As far as the transfer cases go, I found one under a 70s dodge. Only thing I don't know is if it's a NP203 or a NP205. I'm leaning more towards 205 because I don't think the 203 has a PTO output. And I'm glad you mentioned the 15k rating, I honestly didn't know what they were rated for. I might be better off with a NV5600, G56, ZF6, I dunno. Just something with more beef.

If you get that Dana 70 front axle, look into some Ford E450 front brake rotors, almost as big as the c3500hd

Do they bolt up to the dana axle with no problem and are they able to clear 16s? I'll admit I've never done brakes on a solid front axle truck, minus my dodge but that was super simple to change rotors and pads. I don't know a thing about danas.

seth_fisher

Reaction score
Aww thanks! I look so forward to this thing and I'll be genuinely excited when I get to drive it for the first time.

Thanks for the advice! I would have totally spaced the torque converter. Fortunately the cable for the transmission shifter was still in tact so I popped it on the temporary steering column and that seems to work out okay! I actually broke the plastic piece for the shift cable removing the steering column for my parts truck.

As far as the transfer cases go, I found one under a 70s dodge. Only thing I don't know is if it's a NP203 or a NP205. I'm leaning more towards 205 because I don't think the 203 has a PTO output. And I'm glad you mentioned the 15k rating, I honestly didn't know what they were rated for. I might be better off with a NV5600, G56, ZF6, I dunno. Just something with more beef.

Do they bolt up to the dana axle with no problem and are they able to clear 16s? I'll admit I've never done brakes on a solid front axle truck, minus my dodge but that was super simple to change rotors and pads. I don't know a thing about danas.
Nv5600 has mixed reviews......and is expensive. As far as the rotors, I say E450 because they still used a 8 x 6.5 bolt pattern, then you just need some 10 x7.25 hubs. If you can find them, look for 99-04 f450 4x4 hubs....uses the same 10 x 7.25 bolt pattern, but is lug centric, not hub centric like ours. Has a slightly smaller hub. So you will need Ford rims or spacer for the hub

seth_fisher

Reaction score

Some of the 4x4 axles use adaptors, so they bolt on to an old 8 x 6.5" bolt pattern.....caliper brackets might need to be fabed but won't take much