1996 Chevrolet c3500HD CrewCab BEAST - Junkyard Rescue Take II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

16" rims will not fit facing inward.

But they do fit outward!

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk Pro

gstubbz

Reaction score

Floorjack worked much much better than my hilift.

gstubbz

Reaction score

This is why they work on a Ford.

gstubbz

Reaction score

New problem. The Ford lugnuts are too small for the GM Dana 80 studs. So I have to go buy some apperently.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

New problem. The Ford lugnuts are too small for the GM Dana 80 studs. So I have to go buy some apperently.

Take for off of each front and use those.

gstubbz

Reaction score
Now I can write my in depth post. Didn't get it rolling but I am hoping if it all works out I will tomorrow.

Here are some frame pics around the cab mounts. The middle looks very similar to the rear one used on @seth_fisher 's truck. You can also see where the frame was welded. That is about the middle of the rear door in terms of location. I didn't look far enough to find the second splice.

At this point I am pretty dead set on converting it to 4x4, although by looking at how the pumpkin is so close to the engine crossmember, I'll need to do a bunch of work to make a new crossmember that will work with my engine choice while allowing for a leaf under setup.

Dana 70 front (P34835) and Dana 80 rear, going to try talking the guy out of them! I'd like to have them and all the 4" axle tube goodness to match the beef of an HD while keeping stockish height. I really don't want a tall truck for what I plan on.

Thinking more powertrain wise, I'm opting for a Cummins. I'd like a Common Rail 5.9 with a 6 speed manual, but since I'm young with no money a 12v and a NV4500 would be a better combo along with a 205 for the passenger side drop D70 and then some sort of driveshaft brake that will bolt on the back of the 205.

Going back out tomorrow so I can pull two rims off that thing with tires that hold air. Then I can get it loaded!

gstubbz

Reaction score
Take for off of each front and use those.

I ended up doing that. While using a 1" wrench, my boot caught the box end side and put a nice hole in it. Not trilled about that but at least I got the lugnuts I needed off!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Glad to see this thing might be moving soon
Award Winner for longest thread on a truck before it ever comes home for the first time. :D :D :D

By the way those 5/8" lug nuts can be had two ways: integral washer, or conical seat. If you go conical seat you'll need to find the appropriate clamp rings too (like the front wheels still have) so the conical lugs have something to seat into. Or just flat against the wheel with no clamp ring, use the ones with the integral washer. You can score good ones brand new from Southwest Wheel, probably the cheapest place you'll find them and still get good quality.

Richard

gstubbz

Reaction score

It's on all four! So glad to see the truck look like this. Now the fun work of getting the transmission into neutral and breaking the rotors loose so it will roll without dragging.