1995 K1500 - Replacing trans with 2003?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gordinho80

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Reverse went on my 1995 K1500. I found a transmission in working condition off of a 2003. I know there are some issues with the 1995 tranmissions... but would the 2003 transmission work on my truck? I know you have to swap out a solenoid and a couple of other things for a 96 to 95 install... would it be the same for a 2003 transplant?

clubber

Reaction score
I am in the middle of a '98 4L60 to an '07 4L70 swap myself and have some info you may need. I'm still working on finding if the electronics plugs in or not but the plugs look very similar. So far however, I know that the main input shaft length is different between a gen one motor and gen 3 motor transmission. There is a swap kit to remedy this or you MAY be able to swap the input shaft from your old trans to the new one. I'll see if I can find the kit info and post back.

My 70 and 60 are the same length, the output shafts are the same spline count and hook up to my transfer case IF you use the trans to Xfer case adapter housing from the new case. These may interchange exactly for a 60 to 60 swap.

gordinho80

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply... I called it and sold the truck as is... Now i'm looking for a 3500 Dually dump or 4x4