1994 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
What wires do you need? i want them to light up with the gauge lights.. im just wondering what wires are needed.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
What wires do you need? i want them to light up with the gauge lights.. im just wondering what wires are needed.

If they have backlighting capability it should be in the instruction packet on how to wire them in.

It's usually just a ground and then one wire tapped in to the dash illumination circuit.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
If they have backlighting capability it should be in the instruction packet on how to wire them in.

It's usually just a ground and then one wire tapped in to the dash illumination circuit.

Okay sweet thats what i was wondering.. I'm not sure what type of gauges i'll go with.. I'll probably go for something relatively inexpensive..

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
So this weekend i was pretty much busy the whole weekend with Labor day and i had to work Saturday/Sunday so i only really had monday to mess around. The truck needs a new fuel filter before i run it and it also needed exhaust gaskets..

I started by throwing the exhaust gaskets on Sunday afternoon, then on Monday in between errands and what not i ended up designing my own cold air intake. I had the air filter right off the turbo elbow but it really didn't fit to well and also wasn't near the air duct in the fender. On the 93-94's they used the flat air filter... which IMO is a complete pain.

Went with a Banks Power filter on this one with a PVC elbow painted to match, it looks like i bought it from a kit!

You must be registered for see images attach

Also had a chance to move the truck, and wiped down the rims..

Overall this truck has turned out really good, looks really clean with the PY0's and factory look.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score

Since i posted the pic of the rim twice...

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Great project so far! This may seem like an odd question but what do you plan on doing with your old DS4 IP? Im leaning towards giving the DBW system in my Diesel another shot since im convinced that my current DS4 is completely shot with nearly half a million kms on it.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is how I did mine:

The lights get their power from the panel lamp circuit. The power wires for the EGT and trans temp gauge get power from the ECM circuit. I used those fuse taps so they would have their own fused protection. You will want to make sure you have a good engine ground for the EGT gauge at the very least, I used an engine ground for all the gauges. A body ground is fine for the lights. I also bought the Autometer ultralite gauges first, then when I added a fuel pressure gauge I accidentally bought the ultralite II gauge. It is exactly the same during the day, but is led backlit so you can actually see it at night time. I have had zero issues with autometer also, except for one bad EGT probe.

Comparison pic of the fuel pressure gauge:

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Great project so far! This may seem like an odd question but what do you plan on doing with your old DS4 IP? Im leaning towards giving the DBW system in my Diesel another shot since im convinced that my current DS4 is completely shot with nearly half a million kms on it.

The DS4 on this truck didn't really work i don't think. New PMD and it still never ran right. As of right now the motor is still somewhat shot due to the block broke around the starter. I'm not entirely sure what i'll do with it, i never intend on using a DS4 in the future, too much of a pain.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Here is how I did mine:

The lights get their power from the panel lamp circuit. The power wires for the EGT and trans temp gauge get power from the ECM circuit. I used those fuse taps so they would have their own fused protection. You will want to make sure you have a good engine ground for the EGT gauge at the very least, I used an engine ground for all the gauges. A body ground is fine for the lights. I also bought the Autometer ultralite gauges first, then when I added a fuel pressure gauge I accidentally bought the ultralite II gauge. It is exactly the same during the day, but is led backlit so you can actually see it at night time. I have had zero issues with autometer also, except for one bad EGT probe.

To be honest i really have no intention on adding a EGT gauge, i would like to have fuel pressure, boost, and trans temp i think.. fuel pressure especially with the lift pump not running off the PCM i want to make sure its sending a good volume of fuel.

Those fuse taps are interesting, why did you select those locations for the fuses? Does the PNL Laps control the gauge lights?