1994 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Okay, so I've owned this truck for a while, but i wasn't a member when i first bought it. The build is still technically in progress, almost done, but in progress nonetheless. Intially after my C2500 was out of commission for a while, i wanted a 4x4, preferably a crew cab. Since i pelted a deer and only had limited funding, my cap was $3000. So i started searching for a new truck..

Looked at a few

96 K2500 Extended Cab LB 6.5TD/5spd -168k miles - $2300
Too late, guy called the day before me, we both looked at the truck, and he got first dibs.
93 K2500 Regular Cab LB 6.5TD/Automatic 148k miles- $2100
Rust Free One Owner. Such a nice truck, just got there to late. Same as before someone else had called him first.
93 K3500 Crew Cab LB single axle 350/5spd 390k miles - $3000
Nice rust free truck, interior was mint, clear was peeling but the price just wasn't right for the mileage.

Everything else i found was a rust bucket or they wanted $4-5000 for them.

So i ended up shelling out $2300 for this. It's a 94 C3500 Crew Cab Long Bed 2WD, 6.5 Turbo Diesel w/ 4L80E Automatic. 360k miles on a rebuilt transmission w/ less than 3000 miles. Since I have a extra 6.5 motor at the shop, i felt the risk was worth it. It's the Cheyenne package, but came with the Silverado grill. Vinyl interior double bench, rubber floors, crank windows. Rust free Arizona truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

The motor come to find out wasn't the greatest. It has some issues with the starter which the starter shop said the block was warped. I later found out these motors need the front starter bracket, and since this didn't which had broke the bolts many times over. We drilled out the bolts but after that the starter never really set right. It's loud and cranky but it works for now. I plan on stuffing our rebuilt 93 DB2 6.5 in there soon, ditching the electronic injection.

One of the first things she got was cab lights. On a 22 ft crew cab it was a must. These are the GMT400 style LED bulb cab lights. I cant stand when people have the GMT800-900 cab lights on these, it just doesn't look right.

Also found a OE style 6.5 Turbo Diesel decal off ebay. With this truck i wanted to turn it from a cheyenne to silverado so it was a must for looks. And i <3 stickers.

The next thing the truck got was fender flares off ebay. If anyone is questioning fender flares for your GMT400, i've had bushwackers and these premium flares of ebay, and they are excellent. Thicker, and i like the way they stick with double sided adhesive. (Bushwackers - $400 / Ebay - $139)

Then came the interior swap. The vinyl seats are cold in the winter, and hot in the summer, and the rubber floors smelled horrible from years of abuse. I've always been fond of the red interior, so nothing changed there. I found some seats off craigslist. $150 for the buckets, bench $30. Console off ebay $50. And the carpet from stockinteriors.com. ($170 i believe)

I began ripping out the back bench, then the front and followed by the vinyl flooring.

Lots of room in here!

The finished product,

Next came with the tailgate for the "stock silverado" look. I swapped tailgates off my 97, wanting the 97's tailgate to be smooth. Also the badge at the end of this added to the OEM style. The only problem is, the silver flaked off so i had painted it black/red. Next came out the paint and the tape.

I also put some LED's below the tailgate rather than the bar that is on my 97.

Finished product, i accidentally bumped the paint while it was drying, hence the mark in the middle.. but the truck's gonna see some work so i left it.

Now the controversial part, the Tow Mirrors. Since my other truck has the GMT800 style i went a little different on this. The dodge ones look good and since this isn't the truck i'll pull with mostly i wanted to be able to flip the mirrors in for city driving..

My dog Kobalt made sure i was distracted the whole time...

And here she is now,

Currently the truck is having some starter issues, and it is just parked at our shop. Since my 97 was fixed last fall, this thing sat for the winter. But now that it's spring time I'm going to start turning wrenches on iit again. Like i said i will be swapping in our PMD-Less 93 DB2 6.5 motor in for this and using a transmission controller. (for now until i change my mind again) I hate the PMD it's unreliable and kind of erratic. I plan to use this truck as a toy so i want something reliable..

Last edited:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
nice truck i didn't know it was 2wd

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
PMD trucks can be reliable, but you have to spend some cash to get it that way.

I've had Bill's on my truck for two going on 3 years now.

Not a hitch other than some corrosion that needed to be cleaned off a connector. Filled the cavity with Grote ultra seal and it never resurfaced. Even when it gave me trouble because of the "green fuzz", all it was that cruise wouldn't engage.

DB2 pumps aren't without their drawbacks either. Mainly, none of them are hardened for ULSD, unless you've had a recent rebuild.

Either can be made to run very well, with the DS4 having an advantage in higher CC for fuel delivery....

Last edited:

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
this DB2 has less than 50k on new heads injection pump, etc. so it should be good.. i just am not a fan of the DBW i like the throttle cable'd Db2s

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
this DB2 has less than 50k on new heads injection pump, etc. so it should be good.. i just am not a fan of the DBW i like the throttle cable'd Db2s

Fair enough.

I'd rather have a truck I can drive with confidence than one that I was always waiting for the bottom to drop out....if a DB2 gives you that, rock on....:)

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Yeah as long as it has that bowtie on the front who cares! I'd like to get it to get 18-20 mpg... the DS4 had so many problems i didnt get a true mpg reading on it

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Okay well i guess i will be holding off on the engine pull for a while... we were able to rig the starter up to work, and i suppose i'll just not worry about the leaks for now..

However, since the truck was running for the first time since last fall, i decided to have a mini photo shoot..

This was also my first real chance to drive with the dodge tow mirrors... i'll tell you they stick way out there..

Bigfoot

Zombie Response Team
Reaction score
Where did you get the leds for under the tailgate? Looks killer.