1994 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
So today i got the US Shift all tuned in and set up. I tell you this controller is very easy to set up, adjust, read errors if any, etc. I would reccomend to anyone and i haven't even downloaded the tune in software to adjust everything. It's great!

The truck shifted well, and with this cable driven DB2, man this thing has some pep to it! For a 6.5 I'm very impressed.

It took a few starts and quite of bit of running time to quit puffing blue smoke. We used break in lube on all of the parts so i'm sure it was just burning them off. After about about 20 minutes of running the truck stopped smoking and started quieting down. Then i took it for a spin. I was pretty easy on it for the most part just being a brand new motor. After getting fuel, i headed back home and stomped on it. This is where i really noticed the power. It also puffed a little bit of black smoke out the tailpipe!

Now that is not what i am trying to do with this truck. Remember ECO-Diesel is the goal. I don't think the wastegate is functioning properly. On the GM3 turbo's the wastegate is it's own entity so i'll have to do some homework on how it works.

Even though the truck drives it is by no means complete. It still needs a few things.

1. The PCM controlled glow plug controller has no idea what to do.. I need to convert this to a push button glow plug relay (most likely retro ford relay) so that i can manually control my glow plugs without having to create a wiring nightmare.

2. I also might want to re-wire the lift pump. I'm not sure how my current one is operating without the PCM but i'm concerned. I will do some tests to see how it's operating and figure out from there. I may leave it as long as it's functioning properly.

3. The stock exhaust with the soot trap, and muffler is too quiet and i'm sure raises EGT's a ton. I will be putting the diamond Eye 4" Kit on it with a 5" or 6" chrome rolled tip. Not sure yet if i'll go with a diamond eye muffler or not.

4. The next issue is after this conversion the speedometer does NOT work. I might try and get this to work, if not i might run aftermarket gauge and locate it smack dab in the middle of the cluster. Not sure yet.

5. Address the wastegate, possibly use a adjustable wastegate.

6. Add a few gauges.

7. Add some LED signals, possible HID headlights

8. To be determined.... :)

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Okay so lately i've had the chance to get all of the part numbers for the truck to really make a manual for it since it's a 94 truck with a 93 engine, and all kinds of custom modifications.

I've gotten a binder and have started to piece together a manual for this truck. That way if i ever parted with it, or sold it, there is documentation on what has been done, and what parts have been used. I'll also come up with some wiring schematics for the whole truck afterwards. So you can track down the Optishift, Custom glow plug set up, lift pump set up, wiring to diagnose any problems, or to use for maintance.

Essentially i want this truck to be able to be worked on by someone other than me. Creating this manual will provide someone with a list of parts used for replacement given the truck's chassis and engine are different, and it will provide wiring diagrams, and transmission controller information for tuning and maintance.

Here's a list of parts that have been used on this truck since i've bought it.

Engine Rebuilt – 2008 (Roughly 60k on engine)
SS Diesel Supply Stock Replacement Injectors (8) – Part No. ssd-0015
SS Diesel Supply Cylinder Head (2) – Part No. sd-282ZN
SS Diesel Supply Ring Kit (1) – Part No. ssd-2701N
SS Diesel Supply DB2 Injection Pump (1) – Part No. ssd-4911
SS Diesel Supply DB2 Injection Lines – Part No. ssd-8631

Engine Re-Sealed - July 2013:
Felpro Head Gaskets (2)- Part No. 9521 PT
Felpro Intake Gaskets (2)- Part No. MS 91585
Felpro Valve Cover Gasket (2) - Part No. VS 50228 C
Felpro Thermostat Gasket (2) - Part No. 35271
Felpro Plenum Gasket (1) - Part No. MS 90176-1
Felpro Oil Pan Gasket (1) - Part No. OS 34406
Roller Lifters (16) – Part No. sd-VL114
Dorman Fuel Injector Return Lines - Part No. 904-101

Engine Swap - July-August 2013:
Baumann Electronics US Shift Controller - Part No. USQ1
Baumann Electronics US Shift 4L60E/4L80E Wiring Harness – Part No. HPG1
NAPA Fuse Tap (2) - Part No. NW 785134
Banks Power Cold Air Filter Ford 6.9/7.3 IDI - Part No. BAN_41506
Driveworks Fuel Filter – Part No. DW-54719
AC Delco Glow Plugs (8) - Part No. 60G
93 DB2 Cold Start Advance, Fuel Shut Off Wiring Harness – OEM GM Part (1993 Chevrolet K3500)
Fram PH5 Oil Filter - Part No. PH5 - (Always Used)
Rotella 15W40 Heavy Duty Motor Oil - Part No. 550019913 (Always used)

Exterior Parts - September-December 2012:
Action Crash Parts Chrome Composite Grille Assembly - Part No. 3049-04006422
Action Crash Parts Left Lower Marker Assembly - Part No. 3049-04008685
Action Crash Parts Left Upper Marker Assembly - Part No. 3049-04008682
Action Crash Parts Right Lower Marker Assembly - Part No. 3049-04008796
Action Crash Parts Right Upper Marker Assembly - Part No. 3049-04008793
Global Parts Chevy 5 Marker LED Light Kit – Part No. 777KIT1764
6.5 Turbo Diesel Hood Decals – Part No. 380696437275
AVS Vent Visor Shades (4) Part No. 94231
Rough Terrain Premium OE Style Fender Flares (4) Part No. - F002-PP
Prime Auto Sport 94-02 Dodge Manual Tow Mirrors – Part No. 55156334AD
I-Motorsport Outlet LED Tail Lights (Red) – Manufacturer Part No. 03-CF8898LEDRS
Blazer LED 3 Light Bar: Red (1) – Part No. C514RW
Blazer LED Clearance Light: Red (2) – Part No. C12586R
GM Factory PY0 Aluminum Rims (4) – OEM GM Parts
GM 88-98 Chevrolet 8 Lug plastic Center Caps (4) - OEM GM Parts (2004 Chevrolet 2500HD)
(2) Road Venture AT KL78 P245/75R16 replaced February 2013. (Rear tires only)
Front Tires are Mastercraft 245/75R16 Courser LTR E (Used Tires; installed March 2013)

Interior Redone - December 2012:
OE Center Console – Burgundy (88-94) - OEM GM Part
Burgundy Cloth Bucket Seats - OEM GM Parts (92 Chevrolet K3500 Dually)
Rear Cloth Bench Seat - OEM GM Part (91 Chevrolet C1500)
Stock Interiors Dark Red Carpet, Crew Cab 88-98 Part No. 389 Color Code: 825

Future Parts/Modifications:
Diamond Eye 4” Performance Exhaust Part No #DEP-K4102A
2 1/16” Fuel Pressure Gauge: 0-15 PSI
2 1/16” Boost Gauge: 0-30 PSI
2 1/16” Diesel Tachometer- 4000 RPM.
88-94 3 Gauge Pillar, Dark Red
Lift Pump Relay or Modification
Manual Push Button Glow Plugs

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Okay so since the truck runs and drives, i need to fix the speedometer. But since that shouldn't take too long i think i'm going to give myself something to do this weekend.

The truck runs well but you can't even come close to hearing the turbo whistle. With the stock muffler & soot trap the EGT's have gotta be through the charts. Time to go with a 4" straight pipe exhaust and while i'm at it i'll go ahead and fix the speedometer so it works again.

You must be registered for see images attach

So the to do list includes,

Install Exhaust
Fix Speedometer
Install Manual Glow Plugs
Add a tachometer to monitor RPM's.
Add fuel pressure & boost gauges.

With the gauges i'd like to do this on the low, the exhaust, optishift and engine have been my big ticket items for this build. With the gauges i really just want to make sure my lift pump is sending what it should, and that we don't have wastegate issues with the turbo, therefore the boost gauge. Other than that the truck should be complete excluding some minor exterior modifications. I'd like to add LED signals.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Just bought the diamond eye kit, i elected to go with NO muffler. I know the rumor around the mill is that without the muffler you get a little extra noise inside the cab. The kit was $259 with the muffler and $232 without. I'll just save the money and run no muffler. If it gets too annoying i'll buy a muffler down the road but i doubt i'll ever have a issue or wish to replace it.

But it's in the mail should be here mid next week.

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
Just bought the diamond eye kit, i elected to go with NO muffler. I know the rumor around the mill is that without the muffler you get a little extra noise inside the cab. The kit was $259 with the muffler and $232 without. I'll just save the money and run no muffler. If it gets too annoying i'll buy a muffler down the road but i doubt i'll ever have a issue or wish to replace it.

But it's in the mail should be here mid next week.

My truck, with a 4 inch exhaust, no muffler, sounds great! If you have the windows up, you can easily have a conversation with someone in the backseat. Its still possible with the windows down, if your not accelerating to much. Crusing through the city, you would have no problems talking to the other people in the cab.

On another note, if you get on it, you will hear the engine roar... ALOT!

sent from my Galaxy S4 Yo!

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Woo hoo! I'm wanting to hear this 20 year old turbo whistle!

We'll see. If i can get this diamond eye, some LED signals and some gauges i'll be satisfied with the truck as a whole..

Since i've swapped motors i want to make sure the boost doesn't get too high because i plan on maybe going with a turbomaster, and i want to check out the RPMs at highways speeds since i'm running a aftermarket controller. The fuel pressure just to monitor the lift pump. I may run a aftermarket lift pump not sure yet.

We'll see this is a fun project for sure! The only thing i need to fix soon is the speedometer.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
That thing sure does have a nice sound too it. I sure hope my old GM3 Turbo whistles like that one does.

I think once i get this exhaust put on and the speedometer adjusted i'll be happy with it. Then the rest of the stuff, fuel pressure, boost, and tach will just be additional fun.