1994 Chev K1500 6.5 TD ECSB - Junkyard Rescue!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Went to look at it tonight, and the oil was like grease and smelled like that of burned plastic.

See that fine block in front of the truck? That's a 24v 1998 5.9L Cummins, needs an injection pump but the guy may sell it to me with an automatic transmission, haven't asked a price yet. Would be a lot of work or for a fraction of my time and money I could toss a 350 or 454 or another 6.5 in. Tough decisions :D

And yes I put the 6.5 bumper on my 98 before I sold it, it was clean and I think it looks meaner!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

gstubbz

Reaction score
It's getting a 6.5 again. Figured this would be the easiest route and I can reuse almost all the wiring.

Picking up this brown 1994 c2500 ECLB with 246,308 miles on it and has a bad transmission come Sunday (a week from today since I work all this week). Fenders, doors, bumpers, interior, and engine will all be used on the grey truck so for $400 I would say that is a good deal!

You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

gstubbz

Reaction score
Ended up taking two weeks to pick up the parts truck but I finally did it. Has been parked since 2005 and has to the roof California back fees. The truck kept cracking flexplates and after so many they said screw it and parked it. I had it in me to not even rip this truck apart and just fix it but as soon as I heard back-fees I knew that idea was not going to happen.

Used a John Deere and pushed it up onto a trailer, only 1 tire was flat! $400 and I got the title.

I only had about 10 minutes after unloading it to dick with it, put 5 gallons of diesel in it ($12), battery, jumper cables and starting fluid but the battery was stone dead.

So then I got the second truck on Sunday. Kid originally wanted $600 but bought a truck and wanted $300 to register it today so I gave him the $300 as fast as I could and got the title!

Need to haul this out to the other yard where the brown truck lives. Doors from the brown truck are going on the grey truck.

Brown truck has a 14 bolt ff 4.10 axle under it, trading the bed from the brown truck for a frame that is cab forward from a k2500 8 lug, so I plan to swap the rear axle from the brown truck and take the ifs stuff to convert the grey truck into an ECSB k2500 4x4 8 lug. It'll be my towing pig :D

Nylanderz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man you got some stuff going on! Your future tow pig will be a beast, makes me jelous. Keep rockin' on. :)

gstubbz

Reaction score
I look forward to it! This came to mind today while at work. We sell Lenovo ThinkPad laptops and the cost of one out the door is $740. I look at it and say to myself, I spent less than that on two chevy trucks which are a shitton more useful than a laptop to me (granted I do computer repair for a living and 90% of the stuff I own are Macs).

Anyway I have some work to do ahead of me, but I guess as a plus it'll give me something to do and build the truck I want! My half ton hauls like ass so hopefully whatever I make out of this will be able to haul things faster and haul more weight!

The grey truck already has airbags and a gooseneck hitch, just need the axles and IFS under it!

gstubbz

Reaction score
I won't get to work on the trucks most likely until Friday evening after work. First thing however will be getting the brown truck running at least for a bit so I know that it's ready for the grey truck which also has a full tank of diesel that was filled up the day before it blew up!

So for the meantime I've been making a list of what I want to do now. PT-Part Truck GT-Good Truck :)

• Right fender from PT on GT
  • Bucket Seats with center console from PT on GT
  • 4.10 GT5 14b axle + leafs from PT on GT; 4.10 front diff (need to find one)
  • 8 Lug IFS Swap (it's possible, don't tell me it's not)
  • 6.5 Diesel from PT to GT swap
  • Grille/bumpers/doors from PT to GT
  • Color Matched grille and proper 6.5 hole bumper
  • GMT800 Tow Mirrors
  • 3/4 ton stock fender flares
  • PYO rims with 265/75/16 10PR Kelly Safari TSRs (have the tires on my 98 k1500, love them and will buy more sets)
  • Tractor Supply black low-profile diamond plate toolbox (98 k1500 has one of these, I like it)
  • Overhead console from a 95+ truck with Temp/Compass
  • Pillar gauge with Boost/TransTemp/ExaustTemp
  • New Carpet
  • Victory Red; Caltrans Orange; or the 1997-only light blue paint

Now I would love to do a 98 interior swap, I found a really clean truck locally someone is parting out. Maybe if they have it in like a year I'll buy it but for now I have my work cut out for me! Yes I can go buy a 97-00 k2500 ECSB for a bunch of money, but I like to build stuff and do it a bit cheaper. My original post said I wanted a CCSB, but that is a lot of work and having to massively extend the frame and whatnot so it will stay an ECSB. These around me seem to be rarer than the 99/00 k2500 CCSB trucks which are already pretty damn rare!

This is almost what I am going for in the color of my choice. Of course no sidestep, window thing, or the bug guard but with tow mirrors!:

Last edited:

gstubbz

Reaction score
Love the journey so far! Subbed.

Thankya!

--

So as I'm sitting here reading around other builds of guys with 2wd trucks, maybe I shouldn't be bitching about wanting a 4wd pulling truck.

All that is wrong with the brown truck is that it kept cracking flexplates so if I throw $400 into the torque converter, flexplates, and transmission mounts and have a perfectly good truck, it seems stupid to part it out just because of that.

Fix brown truck up and gut the grey one for a 350 to make a offroad truck? Maybe :D

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thankya!

--

So as I'm sitting here reading around other builds of guys with 2wd trucks, maybe I shouldn't be bitching about wanting a 4wd pulling truck.

All that is wrong with the brown truck is that it kept cracking flexplates so if I throw $400 into the torque converter, flexplates, and transmission mounts and have a perfectly good truck, it seems stupid to part it out just because of that.

Fix brown truck up and gut the grey one for a 350 to make a offroad truck? Maybe :D
Is the Grey one a bad truck? Why not fix both??

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

gstubbz

Reaction score
Is the Grey one a bad truck? Why not fix both??

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Grey one has a blown 6.5 in it and ghetto wiring everywhere thats about it. Has 3.73s with a 14 bolt sf; 4l80e.

Brown truck has the 4.10 ff; 4l80e but 2wd.

I just don't want to be hauling something with the brown truck and get stuck. The cummins I used to haul the brown truck actually needed 4wd to go up a dirt driveway with the truck on a trailer