1994 Chev K1500 6.5 TD ECSB - Junkyard Rescue!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
I am tracking this I love to see new life given to great trucks.....and I have a soft spot for 6.5's even though they can be a pain in the backside oh and wallet :lol:

The 6.5 is spendy!! Hasn't been a cheap project lol.

gstubbz

Reaction score
So a few updates on this thing...

Starters starters starters... I had a 6.2l starter in this thing and eventually it just gave up and refused to crank even after trying to hit the solenoid and by shorting it out. $160 later I had a re-manufactured proper 6.5l starter and has been great ever since.

Glow plugs... yeah one of them stopped working so I need to replace them all when I get the chance. For now I rigged up a button that will make the glow plugs warm up regardless of what the ignition says.

PMDs seem to hate me! I was dragging a metal wood bed that came off a Ford around the back field seeing how the 6.5 would handle it, did good then a few minutes later the truck flat out died. Waited a few and started right back up then died again not too long after. I swapped it with another PMD and it has been doing a bit better. I relocated the PMD to the grille prior to this happening but I guess that didn't make a difference!

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images

So earlier in this thread I said that I broke one of the headlights along with the grille, well my friend's dad happened to have a set of stock headlights for these trucks in his garage and I bought them for $20. Replaced the broken one and have one as a spare I guess! Much nicer not having a headlight angling too far down. The front bumper with the holes I put onto my white truck, but whenever I can find another bumper I'll put one back on the 6.5, it's not street legal yet the holes won't turn peoples heads driving around on a field lol.

The one other thing I need to replace is the ignition lock cylinder. I snapped the key in it so I went to NAPA and it was a $26 part. I can actually start the truck because so much is broken on the inside but I have the new part with the proper tabs to put your fingers on instead of it being broken!

May of found another parts truck locally that I will be able to pick up. Apparently it's a k3500 crew cab with a manual, no idea on engine or anything else but it probably has an nv4500 and I want to make this truck a crew cab short bed so this truck will enable that! They want $350 as it has no title, but I don't need the title when it gets cut up :)

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
I accidentally broke my ignition key off in my door lock before I had my keyless entry, and I had lost my spare est 6 months prior. So I was basically forced to shove my broken piece into my ignition to make it to class on time.

I paid some shop to fix it, That was the last thing I wanted to do. Lol.

Nice truck man. Cant wait to see what else is in store

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You really need the proper bumper especially at low speeds when you are pulling a load. Those holes and the defectors behind them are to force more air towards the radiator for cooling.

gstubbz

Reaction score
So I should really post an update on this thing. I sold it at the end of last summer to a friend for $1,000 and he ended up blowing it up this morning. I will be buying it back for probably $600 as it has literally brand new tires on it and a toolbox, but I have an idea.

There is a parts 6.5 1994 c2500 with a bad transmission that I can pick up for $300. Yank that engine out and put it into this truck, and I'll be set! This truck also has a nicer interior with bucket seats which would be getting swapped over.

You must be registered for see images

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What made you decided to sell it? You seemed very passionate about it.:bawl:

lio45

Reaction score
I've had my current 1995 6.5 turbodiesel Z71 shortbox halfton for eight years now, been using it for serious work, haven't been disappointed at all with the 6.5 despite its not-too-good reputation.

FWIW, I totally recommend the 6.5 subforum at www.dieselplace.com -- it is THE best online forum for our engine bar none.

I don't want to steal traffic from this great site, but honestly, for tech advice, you'll find that a 6.5-specific forum is much more relevant than a GMT400-specific forum.

For everything else, of course, there's www.gmt400.com :)

gstubbz

Reaction score
What made you decided to sell it? You seemed very passionate about it.:bawl:

I told my father about the truck (I was 17 at the time) and he was all pissed off that I had a second truck behind his back and my friend needed a truck since his Ford was a POS so I sold it to him.

I was bummed for months after I sold it, glad I'm getting it back but not thrilled about it being blown up. That can be fixed with time and a bit of money though :) Funny thing is I had a bet with a friend that he would manage to blow it up within a year, we were right!!

He also ghettofied all the wiring, so I will be fixing that and yanking what I can from the parts truck if I get it. Also was considering dropping a 350 or 454 tbi into it, something to make it go again!

I've had my current 1995 6.5 turbodiesel Z71 shortbox halfton for eight years now, been using it for serious work, haven't been disappointed at all with the 6.5 despite its not-too-good reputation.

FWIW, I totally recommend the 6.5 subforum at www.dieselplace.com -- it is THE best online forum for our engine bar none.

I don't want to steal traffic from this great site, but honestly, for tech advice, you'll find that a 6.5-specific forum is much more relevant than a GMT400-specific forum.

For everything else, of course, there's www.gmt400.com :)

This truck was abused before and after I sold it, sad but since it's mine again I will not be selling it and making it either a towing truck or a fun truck!

I'll keep that in mind if I ever come across a 6.5 issue, I've been able to work through them in the past thus far... with help :)

Last edited:

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used to have a 6.5 in 3/4 gmc. Everything but the motor have me problems. Wish I still had it.

Good luck getting your s going again