1994 Chev K1500 6.5 TD ECSB - Junkyard Rescue!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Update time! Started preparing to yank the engine from the brown truck. Since I've never pulled an engine from a truck and want to make sure the one that comes out is not damaged in any way I am removing the core support. With the short time I had I got the radiator, grille, and a few little other things off. Also put the red/black bowtie in the clean grille that will be going on the grey truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

The grille is sitting on the grey truck, not bolted down or anything just super angled.

I really only have a few hours each weekend to do stuff and this next weekend I probably won't be able to do anything but I really want to get the engines swapped! After that my next plan is to take the seats from the brown truck and put them in the grey truck.

Did pick up the headache rack that was on the grey truck months ago by the PO, ended up making some modifications to it and putting it on my white truck. Fits correctly, only bummer is whoever made it screwed up because the center does not line up with my third brake light. Second pic is the grey truck when the PO was driving it in November or October I think (when it ran).

gstubbz

Reaction score
Seems like I am starting to get over my head with this project.

Went for a random peek through craigslist and came across this 1997 k1500 crew cab short bed. Which is (or 99.9% has to be) a Centurion conversion. In rough shape, interior especially. Guy has a BOS but no title, I could take the VIN from my grey truck and fashion it into place. If I do that the transmission from my grey truck and the 6.5 from the brown truck will be mated to make this a 6.5L k1500 CCSB. Pretty much the truck I have been wanting! Bed would also be coming off the grey truck and put onto this CCSB.

Guy wanted $800 for the CCSB but I bet I can get it for $500. Currently has a Vortec 350 and a 4l60e. 7 hours one way into Oregon to get it though!! Should I go for it or stick to my extended cabs? This CCSB is a rare truck though and I have wanted a CCSB for the past few years.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I think Skylark was looking at that truck a while back for his wife;
And I think the vin-plate thing you mentioned seems a little iffy,

gstubbz

Reaction score
It is closer to him than me by quite a bit! The VIN thing I think would work, I know a guy who picked up a 1992 D250 cummins without a title and took the VIN from a 80's cab with a cummins and glued it in place and glued in the factory rivets and has been okay since.

I think I would be screwed if they checked the VIN anywhere outside of the dash. On my grey 6.5 the door has been replaced with one from a 94 k3500 with a different VIN so it's a mix of parts lol. Just has the cab and frame I want. Everything else would be coming from the grey 6.5 (power terrain) and suburban interior parts.

We don't have safety inspections here either, every time I've been pulled over by cops (on several occasions) not one has checked the dash vin. I think that lessens the risk a bit but still if they decide to match the vins on the door and frame I am screwed.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
It is closer to him than me by quite a bit! The VIN thing I think would work, I know a guy who picked up a 1992 D250 cummins without a title and took the VIN from a 80's cab with a cummins and glued it in place and glued in the factory rivets and has been okay since.

I think I would be screwed if they checked the VIN anywhere outside of the dash. On my grey 6.5 the door has been replaced with one from a 94 k3500 with a different VIN so it's a mix of parts lol. Just has the cab and frame I want. Everything else would be coming from the grey 6.5 (power terrain) and suburban interior parts.

We don't have safety inspections here either, every time I've been pulled over by cops (on several occasions) not one has checked the dash vin. I think that lessens the risk a bit but still if they decide to match the vins on the door and frame I am screwed.

I didn't think about the state inspection thing; you have to get state inspections in NC,
Maybe get it re-vinned? Anyone know if that's something that you could do?

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
I didn't think about the state inspection thing; you have to get state inspections in NC,
Maybe get it re-vinned? Anyone know if that's something that you could do?
That already sounds like a headache...

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems like I am starting to get over my head with this project.

Went for a random peek through craigslist and came across this 1997 k1500 crew cab short bed. Which is (or 99.9% has to be) a Centurion conversion. In rough shape, interior especially. Guy has a BOS but no title, I could take the VIN from my grey truck and fashion it into place. If I do that the transmission from my grey truck and the 6.5 from the brown truck will be mated to make this a 6.5L k1500 CCSB. Pretty much the truck I have been wanting! Bed would also be coming off the grey truck and put onto this CCSB.

Guy wanted $800 for the CCSB but I bet I can get it for $500. Currently has a Vortec 350 and a 4l60e. 7 hours one way into Oregon to get it though!! Should I go for it or stick to my extended cabs? This CCSB is a rare truck though and I have wanted a CCSB for the past few years.

Oh hell no! That is the pile. We were looking at it just for the cab and it isn't worth that. That cab has been sectioned.

gstubbz

Reaction score
Funny. He replied back to me earlier and said he is just going to cut it up and scrap it. Oh well I offered him some money and I was willing to travel the long ass trip.

Back to fixing the grey truck!