1994 6.5 turbo diesel won't start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score
Ok so I just bought a 1994 c1500 ext cab dually with 6.5 turbo and manual transmission with around 145k miles on it. Story is the guy parked it changed the fuel filter and it never started again, so he put a new lift pump on it and it still wouldnt start. The truck has sat close to a year un run. I primed the fuel system and it started right up on the first 10-15 seconds of cranking on it. I let it run for about 15min just to check everything out, oil pressure was at about 40-45 psi and it seemed to run great. Then it just died and I haven't been able to get it to restart.

I am a diesel noob so any help would be appreciated.

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score
Ok I got it figured out and running. Seems to be losing prime due to a fuel leak. I reprimed it and it fired right up. I just need to find the leak now.

Snotrocket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check all the hoses coming from the fuel manager. There is an o-ring in the bottom of it that's known to leak.

Depending on what style of filter you have it can sometimes be a bit of a bear to get the cap back on so it doesn't leak.

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score
Check all the hoses coming from the fuel manager. There is an o-ring in the bottom of it that's known to leak.

Depending on what style of filter you have it can sometimes be a bit of a bear to get the cap back on so it doesn't leak.

Do you have a part number for the lower o ring? I have been searching all over but can't find it anywhere.

Snotrocket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't. Is yours leaking? Take it out and into a parts store.

Also, not to try and refer you to another site but, http://www.dieselplace.com has the answers you're looking for. Most of those guys have forgotten more than I'll ever know about diesel trucks.

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score
I pulled the whole filter assembly out and found the leak to actually be coming from the WIF sensor. I am just going to order a new FFM with all new gaskets, wif sensor, and heater. I found the a/c delco one for $108 on rock auto or I can buy just the sensor for $140 lol.

sctrailrider

Reaction score
I would delete that filter and get a good one and mount it along the frame rail where the lift pump is and redo a little return side line and you are done, prime it really good and there you go.... check and see what the fuel cap looks like, it should say DIESEL on it, the gas kind won't work. Get some clear fuel line and install it at the return line from the pump, you can check for air bubbles in the fuel system that way.