1991 RCLB Driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Coolant temp sender installed...there are two types on this truck, the one for the gauge has one spade, not two. Know the difference (previous owner installed wrong sender the proceeded to hack wiring trying to get it to work).

Headlight switch housing repaired. At some point someone broke all the tabs off for holding the switch in and then tried to glue the switch in.

Replaced the failing climate control switch pack with one from a junk yard truck. Works perfectly now.

Replaced a blown out parking lamp bulb.

Replaced broken front grille with a new black one. Fitment is good, no more cracks. Scored a non-broken bowtie from the junk yard as well.

Registering tomorrow. Will be driving this beast next week!! It had been decided the truck is now named "Bob".

You must be registered for see images attach

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Maiden voyage home last night. A couple minor quirks but nothing major. Today I drove it about 30 miles to get some supplies.

Did some general clean up.

Running at around 215-220F steady. Thinking 195F T-stat and a coolant flush.

Oil PSI gauge jumps around.

Blower motor made a a lot of squealing noise followed by the entire HVAC control unit losing power. Turned truck off and back on to find the system working properly again. No mishaps since. Heat is a bit weak. There might be an air bubble.

Oil was down a quart and very brown. I have a Fleetguard filter, just need to grab 5 qts of 5w30 and stop being lazy.

Other than the above list the truck runs fine and seems to have plenty of power. Likes to drink fuel though but I expected that when I bought it. Already had a Ford F150 revving at me for attention.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
I felt today would make a good test day for Bob and so I drove him to work (work one way = 38 miles at highway speeds). The weather was decent, upper 40's during the day with sun and lower 40's tonight with some rain, so nothing terribly drastic for a sorting test run. Made it to work on time and the ride was pretty good. Still trying to figure out what makes Bob want to go into torque converter lock-up as it seems random at times. Decent mileage and power. I am still at work so no notes on the return trip yet. It is raining and cooler now. Here are daytime notes.

Pinion seal leaking a lot.

Blower motor needs to be addressed. It seems someone had the dash out (heater core?) but didn't do a great job which might explain why the cooling system is acting odd. The blower motor spins but makes noise and doesn't move a lot of air.

HVAC control unit doesn't light up. Plus the controls act funny, it's either face or floor, nothing in between. The tick marks move on their own. That's a JY unit so it might have been bad already.

Clicking from the starter then turning right over. Acts like the battery is dead then fires right up.

Shifting is odd at cruise.

Coolant temp gauge hovering at 215F-220F.

Radio plays out of one speaker.

This list is from the run to work. I am leaving in 30 minutes so I might have another list from the drive home. Still liking this truck a lot. It's smooth and has plenty of power. That V8 sound is un-beatable!