1991 C1500 ECSB 5 Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5speed91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased this truck back in January of 2012 from the original owner. LO3 engine, 5LM60 trans, 3.08 open rear diff. 235,000 miles at the time. The truck was not running when I bought it so I got it for $800. A new fuel pump, sender assembly and new fuel injectors got it running great. This is by far the slowest vehicle I have ever owned but its also the first truck I've ever owned and I just love driving it. This is what it looked like when I got it.

You must be registered for see images attach

G. Ames
1975 Pontiac Grand Am 7.5L Olds L77
1991 Chevrolet C1500 5.0L LO3
1994 Chevrolet Caprice 5.7L LT1
2006 Pontiac GTO 6.0L LS2
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 6.0L L77

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right on. I love 5 speeds. I'm guessing it's slow because of the 3.08 gears and a 305?

5speed91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After I added the 31 inch tires and the aluminum rims

New tail lights and added work lights

At the time back in 2012, I was actually driving a GMT 400 on the job! This 99 Tahoe only had 69,000 miles at the time! These were not all that common even when they were new.

5speed91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right on. I love 5 speeds. I'm guessing it's slow because of the 3.08 gears and a 305?

Yeah mostly because of the 305. Ive have had 305s before when I was a teenager in a few cars and have always felt they are worthless. The best application of a 305 was probably the TPI Camaros but forget the rest. I'm at a crossroads with this truck now, cant decide if I want to freshen the trans, drop a 350 in and paint it or just look for a nice lower mileage truck with a L31 vortec motor. I would love the better stereo, engine and third door of the newer GMT 400s but I love this manual!

5speed91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fast forward to 2016. I sold the truck in 2015 to a friend to buy the '14 Caprice. I missed it so much, I bought it back a year later. This is after I added the Police Tahoe wheels which as far as I can tell are just black sport wheels but may possibly a little heavier. I installed new headlights, turn signals and the sport grill.

If I don't bite the bullet and upgrade to a 96+ GMT 400, I am thinking of cloning this truck like a factory C1500 sport. I know they didn't come in extended cab but I think it would look neat. Just need the decals, fog lights and trim.

5speed91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great with the police rims and sport grille!!

Thanks so much! I wont bore everyone with all the minor maintenance/repairs items Ive done but the highlights so far are:

New fuel pump and injectors
New Radiator, water pump, hoses
Tune up
HVAC module completely overhauled with new heater core/evap and all actuators replaced
Dash replaced
Steering column rebuilt
A/C system replaced (New condenser, compressor, lines, Drier etc, R134A conversion)
Drive shafts rebuilt, rebalanced, new u joints, new carrier bearing
New front brakes including hoses.

Hence my dilemma. The truck looks good in photos but the reality is it needs paint badly. The paint is coming off on the top surfaces. Surface rust is starting to form where the paint is coming off. Its weird, there is no clear peeling but it looks like it went through a sand storm and the paint is cracking also. This truck may not have even had a clear coat when new. I think they painted them differently before 92 or 93 or so.

The truck drives great but is very under powered. I have an original 114,000 mile 1993 Police LO5 from a Caprice to drop in its place. Its unique as far as LO5's go because it has a 205 hp rating compared to the 180 hp rating any other passenger car with an LO5 had. Supposedly it has the L98 cam and a better Y-pipe to get the increased rating. The truck manifolds should flow way better than the car application ones so maybe ill get some increase there also. While the engine is out, I figured might as well do a new clutch and get a rebuilt NV3500 to replace to old 5LM60. The snycros are worn between 1-2 on my current trans and has been for years but it still works fine as long as you baby the 1-2 shift. I have seen a few companies online that sell reman NV3500s but would love input from people here that have experience in this area as who they like or don't like. So ive already done a lot of work on the truck and still need to do the engine, trans and paint.

I like the reliability and simplicity of the TBI but given the paint is so bad on my truck, Ive been thinking about trying to find a 96+ truck with around 150,000 or so that still looks good with factory paint. I know they are out there. More power right out of the box plus the third door and the better stereo system. I also wouldn't mind having a crew cab short bed if I could find a decent one but I doubt I will. But I don't feel like I can part with the manual and I rarely ever see vortec trucks (half tons) with sticks but I know they exist I just think they are less common than the stick TBI trucks. I think Ill spend the same money either way so it probably comes down to what I find once I start seriously looking at other trucks. Either spend a lot over time on this one or cough up a large chunk for a newer nicer one.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
I loved my 98 3 door Vortec 5.7, awesome truck with gobs of power without any mods.

I really wanted a manual and it took me owning 4 gmt400s before I finally owned one. But it's a 350 tbi, my first tbi ever so it should be interesting. All of the tbi trucks I've driven seemed kind of gutless and friends were always jealous of my vortec!

5speed91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I think the TBI 5.7L are just barely adequate in a 1500 2WD, anything heavier and they feel pretty weak. They will do about anything you need them to but not really fast. Those L31 trucks could run circles around the newer 5.3L trucks in the real world for years until just recently.

I have thought about doing a vortec TBI conversion on this truck but I have read mixed result. Seems really hard to find a really good tuner for these old OBD1 computers. Seems like its a sure improvement over the LO5 but never quite as fast as a factory vortec truck with the factory sequential fuel injection manifold