1990 YARD-MAN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
@Stumpy, out of curiosity, what would cause the fuel pump on the carburetor not to pump? I rebuilt the carb on my spare mower and the passages are clean. The diaphragms are new. If I dribble fuel into the carb it runs fine, but as soon as the fuel runs out it dies.
Could be small restrictions in fuel passages inside the carb, like cholesterol in the blood vessels. Sometimes a complete rebuild doesn't do any good, because you just can't get to everything.

As you probably know gas turns to varnish over time, and will coat everything it comes in contact with. I've tore into carbs that sat so long, they were well past the varnish stage, and there was literal dust in the bowl, everything was super dry. Needless to say, that carb was unsalvagable.

Even just sitting over the winter can be problematic for summer equipment. How it's stored can make a big difference. Obviously inside a closed building is better than a tarp over it, outside.
Always a good idea to drain the fuel, but I'm too lazy for that, so usually use a fuel stabilizer. Even then I've had to pour in little gas into the carb of our mower, after sitting all winter, but is good the rest of the summer.

what type hydraulic fluid do these thing use in the diff? atf? regular tractor type hydraulic fluid? any idea ho much goes in? slow or sluggish reverse..... does this mean low fluid? I should be ashamed..... Ive never checked the fluid but I should have enough regular atf or hydraulic fluid to do a fluid change.

Al
Different manufacturers call for different fluids. I've seen 20w-50 be used, to a very specific hydrostatic fluid.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
mine is hydrostatic, which was the first hydrostatic tractor I ever drove. convenient.

anyone have any idea what would cause slow reverse? the obvious.... check the fluid.... iv done just about everything else to this except touching the rear. lol. I plan on doing some maintenance on it before I put the deck back on. rear end and weld the **** out of the deck. it has a few patches but I want to put a heavy gauge piece of steel on the front of it just like a road grater. hahaha! I dont know what the hell to do about my hood though, shes ******!

I actually have a few more mowers

In my possession is a 1983 JD 318 with deck. a beauty with a newer 1994 motor. it's my fil and he refuses to sell it to me. tells me to use it. but it needs new rubber and needs the power steering lines rebuilt.... hes snakey..... I dont want to fix it for him to sell it. So I have it locked up in my garage. Iv had it for 8 years and would love to get the loader, snow blower, tiller and whatever else I can get my hands on for it. It does indeed run like a top.

I have a 1974 case 108 with deck and blower, has the hacked in briggs twin 12.5 commercial. sounds like a Harley with straight pipes!

I also have some weird ass aries with the deck and a tecumseh motor with 120v electric start. this is just sitting in the barn waiting to become a go cart.

then my newer craftsman.

**** I need to cut my damn grass, it's already long enough and tommorow, 420, they are calling for SNOW! for F SAKES.

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
oh I forget the name but I bought some American made super heavy Duty blades for it last year and holy **** what a difference! they were off ebay so I could look it up but they are twice as thick and basic blades. so it cuts and throws.... those mulcher blades are no good where they might find a root or some hidden **** in the ground from the people who lived here prior.

I haven't even had to sharpen them yet but I will before the deck goes back on.

Al

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh I forget the name but I bought some American made super heavy Duty blades for it last year and holy **** what a difference! they were off ebay so I could look it up but they are twice as thick and basic blades. so it cuts and throws.... those mulcher blades are no good where they might find a root or some hidden **** in the ground from the people who lived here prior.

I haven't even had to sharpen them yet but I will before the deck goes back on.

Al
I use Oregon commercial mulching blades and they are just like that. I lay between $10 and $18 a piece depending on the size. They are amazing.

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
here she be! fired up instantly with a bit of choke. my choke cable broke so I quickly, permanently installed a tiny bungee cord as a choke cable. it's a 13hp. I only buy non ethanol, shell supreme, I think its 89 octane but I dont care about that, just the non ethanol part. man, cost me $100 for 15 gallons of it the other day. but the lawnmower has sat for a couple months and it fired right up immediately and went straight to work. I believe that offsets the price of it. it's really hard to find ethanol free regular gas around me so screw it, I decided last year that I will only fill jerry cans with Supreme nonethanol gas from then on. ****-it, most of my engines are vintage anyways and shouldn't have it. some of my engines may sit for 8-10 months of the year and fire right up.

ya how do you like my ice fishing sled hood! HAHAHAHA thats the best I could come up with on the short term. I have a 5 acre woodlot that I manage with this outfit. Its also what heats our house and keeps the propane bill down.

Al

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
MTD mowers don't disengage their blades like most other riders. Instead of having a tension pulley, that moves when you work a lever. The deck on a MTD moves forward, as it's being raised, which takes tension off the belt. That's why they put brakes on them, because the belt never gets slack enough to really disengage.

They put brakes on them so they don't continue to spin when disengaged. I believe it's govt. regulation just like maximum blade speed on residential mowers.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
MTD mowers don't disengage their blades like most other riders. Instead of having a tension pulley, that moves when you work a lever. The deck on a MTD moves forward, as it's being raised, which takes tension off the belt. That's why they put brakes on them, because the belt never gets slack enough to really disengage.
Aren't most mowers made by MTD now ? A Cub Cadet dealer told me he quit selling them because MTD took over production of the residential mowers.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Aren't most mowers made by MTD now ? A Cub Cadet dealer told me he quit selling them because MTD took over production of the residential mowers.
Cub Cadet has always been made by MTD. Like Toyota making Lexus. Its their "premium" line.

Things may have changed in the last 20+ years since I was in that field, but I imagine not a whole lot. The main difference between a good mower, and a cheap one, is the gauge of metal used on the frame. There's only a few different engine manufacturers, and at one point only two transaxle manufactures. Theyre all the same in a lot of ways.

Last edited: