1990 YARD-MAN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
this is my 1990 Yard man I bought about a year ago. It runs pretty good....most of the time. When I bought it the owner told me I have to let it run for about 5 minutes before I use it otherwise the engine dies and everytime I start it I have to pull the choke out regardless of how long I'm using it or temper. About 6 months later I figured out why. One day I started it and noticed blue smoke came out the exhaust. So it probably going to need an engine at some point. Other than that and the grille which I broke when I kinda bumped a sign in my yard. Didn't notice it till I ran it over and destroyed it. Damn brittle plastic. Also the belt tensioner is worn. Blades rotate even when "disengaged"

You must be registered for see images attach

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love that motor I'm looking for one right now to rebuild for my lawn mower because I don't really like the new Intech motors.

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would pop the heads off and clean up any carbon and then put everything back together with preferably a new set of head gaskets and rev it up while dribbling seafoam into the intake.
It sounds crazy but sometimes it's enough to clean out the rings and get everything running properly again. Of course after that you need to change the oil because it will likely be pretty sooted up from anything that got knocked loose in the rings.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I was a certified small engine mechanic for several years, a long time ago, and sold and serviced similar mowers, made by MTD, as this one is. The main thing I like about MTD riders, is it's the only brand of mower, that you can ride the clutch, to modulate speed and not burn up the belt. This is due to their drive setup, using a double stack variable speed pulley, running a one speed transmission. Really good setup, and very dependable.

To get your blades to stop when you disengage, there are supposed to be two small brake pads about an inch square, mounted on thin flat metal bars that actually contact the blade pulleys, when you raise the deck. Not much to them, and usually wear out pretty quick.

The diaphragm in the carb is probably dry and hard, which is why you're having to use the choke so much. Cheap and easy fix.

As for the engine, they're very simple to work on. If you think its wore out, a good bead honing, and a new set of rings go a long way, providing the cylinders are good. Again a cheap, and relatively easy fix.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
I was a certified small engine mechanic for several years, a long time ago, and sold and serviced similar mowers, made by MTD, as this one is. The main thing I like about MTD riders, is it's the only brand of mower, that you can ride the clutch, to modulate speed and not burn up the belt. This is due to their drive setup, using a double stack variable speed pulley, running a one speed transmission. Really good setup, and very dependable.

To get your blades to stop when you disengage, there are supposed to be two small brake pads about an inch square, mounted on thin flat metal bars that actually contact the blade pulleys, when you raise the deck. Not much to them, and usually wear out pretty quick.

The diaphragm in the carb is probably dry and hard, which is why you're having to use the choke so much. Cheap and easy fix.

As for the engine, they're very simple to work on. If you think its wore out, a good bead honing, and a new set of rings go a long way, providing the cylinders are good. Again a cheap, and relatively easy fix.
I didn't know about how the blades are actually disengaged. I'd have check into that one weekend. I always figured it was a belt tensioner or something.

I want to rebuild the engine, but would rather find a replacement for it for now. Got too many projects at the moment. I will have to give it a tune up and clean that carb sometime.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
I love that motor I'm looking for one right now to rebuild for my lawn mower because I don't really like the new Intech motors.

I like them too. Nice and powerful. Finding a new one, let alone a used one is not easy.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I have one of these movers except it's a 94 and has a different engine in it, 14 hp Briggs I think. runs like a champ. I rebuilt the deck last year and bough a tiny ass agm deep cycle battery for it, sealed the tires with green slime. this winter we used it for hauling firewood out of the bush with some chains on the tires. its covered in mud and my daughter smashed the hood off while driving into a tree at full speed. LMAO and DAMMIT! what in the hell am I guna do for a new hood? my front looks WAY worse than that one. I put a big led RV interior light on the front with a couple of leds in the headlights, sometimes, if the grass will let me, I will cut after dark. it takes me 5 hours to cut my grass. I cut about 2 acres. last fall I finally acquired another rider, dont know what year, mid 90's it's a craftsman with a big ass kohler engine on it. with how this one operates I can finally let one of my kids help me cut the grass.

Al

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
and oh I almost forgot. I have one of those opposed twin briggs, I think a 13.5 commercial, its black. it was hacked into a 1974 small case that I have that has a snowblower. I used to use that to haul firewood through the bush until it threw a rod or? it didnt smash the case just started tapping like crazy but still got me home. it sounded like a friggen Harley, that engine deserves to be rebuilt one of these days.

Al

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like them too. Nice and powerful. Finding a new one, let alone a used one is not easy.
If you end up replacing it please message me because I would be interested in buying it if shipping isn't too crazy. It looks like you're only a state away so shipping might be doable.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't know about how the blades are actually disengaged. I'd have check into that one weekend. I always figured it was a belt tensioner or something.

I want to rebuild the engine, but would rather find a replacement for it for now. Got too many projects at the moment. I will have to give it a tune up and clean that carb sometime.
They will look something like this. I just bought a set for my mower and I discovered that a lot of these brands that were sold at home Depot and places like that it is actually easier to bring the part in instead of just bringing in the model and serial number because although they are made by the same manufacturers they will have slightly different part numbers and it can be hard for them too look up the parts if they're not a distributor for that specific brand.