1990 YARD-MAN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cub Cadet has always been made by MTD. Like Toyota making Lexus. Its their "premium" line.

Things may have changed in the last 20+ years since I was in that field, but I imagine not a whole lot. The main difference between a good mower, and a cheap one, is the gauge of metal used on the frame. There's only a few different engine manufacturers, and at one point only two transaxle manufactures. Theyre all the same in a lot of ways.
Yeah and they use cheaper models of motors and if the transmissions are hydrostatic they are usually sealed for life with no changeable filter.

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The main difference between a good mower, and a cheap one, is the gauge of metal used on the frame.
This. When I bought my property I bought a nearly new Monkey Ward built by MTD lawnmower. There were concrete blocks in the yard, railroad ties lining the ditch in front, and in ten years I destroyed that mower. All the mounting points in the frame had been ripped out and re-welded several times. I bought a ragged out John Deere to replace it, but the J-D is rebuildable. The cast front axle was its biggest selling point. I've had it ten years now and it's in better shape than when I bought it. I up-armored it by welding a 2"x.125" steel strip along the front side of the mower deck and rebuilt the hydrostatic drive. I modified the tie rods for replaceable ends, and that alone has saved me over $100. Spend the money up front or you'll be spending it down the road.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cub Cadet has always been made by MTD. Like Toyota making Lexus. Its their "premium" line.

Things may have changed in the last 20+ years since I was in that field, but I imagine not a whole lot. The main difference between a good mower, and a cheap one, is the gauge of metal used on the frame. There's only a few different engine manufacturers, and at one point only two transaxle manufactures. Theyre all the same in a lot of ways.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This. When I bought my property I bought a nearly new Monkey Ward built by MTD lawnmower. There were concrete blocks in the yard, railroad ties lining the ditch in front, and in ten years I destroyed that mower. All the mounting points in the frame had been ripped out and re-welded several times. I bought a ragged out John Deere to replace it, but the J-D is rebuildable. The cast front axle was its biggest selling point. I've had it ten years now and it's in better shape than when I bought it. I up-armored it by welding a 2"x.125" steel strip along the front side of the mower deck and rebuilt the hydrostatic drive. I modified the tie rods for replaceable ends, and that alone has saved me over $100. Spend the money up front or you'll be spending it down the road.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a John Deere LX-178 new in 1994. It cost around $3400. Guys I worked with thought I was crazy. Up until last year it only cost me about $50 for repair parts not counting oil, filters and grease. So 27 years later it still works like a champ. I don't know if new J-D's are still built this well.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
I bought a John Deere LX-178 new in 1994. It cost around $3400. Guys I worked with thought I was crazy. Up until last year it only cost me about $50 for repair parts not counting oil, filters and grease. So 27 years later it still works like a champ. I don't know if new J-D's are still built this well.

I'm gonna say "No". It seems that industrywide, worldwide, the standard is to try to get things to last about 5 years or less. You have to replace things sooner, so the company makes more money.