1990 chevy coolant temp sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94chevc1500

Reaction score
Hello all I have been working on a friend's 1990 chevy truck 5.7. He wanted to change the intake gaskets so he found a good used intake so I put it on and I didn't see that the coolant temp sensor hole near the thermostate has been plugged with a pipe fitting... I tried heating it really hot and taking it out it won't move and it's starting to strip. My question is can I put the coolant temp sensor in the thermostate housing? There's a hole and I have the right pipe fitting adapter

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only if you want the coolant temp sensor to read properly AFTER the engine is so hot that the thermostat opens.

This will drive the computer to go pig-rich until the engine warms up. NOT recommended.

There are other options for that sensor location, but they're not optimum. Work more on removing the broken pipe plug. Is the pipe plug iron/steel or brass or aluminum or something else? How hot are you getting that pipe plug? What kind of heating implement are you using?

If this is a propane torch, does it also have an oxygen bottle connected to it? Propane alone is NOT HOT ENOUGH. But make sure you heat the pipe plug, NOT the aluminum manifold, and let the pipe plug cool completely before putting torque to it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DWPreston1969