1990 GMC K1500 restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
While the valve covers were off, I went ahead and replaced the valve seals to hopefully fix the oil burn at startup. The original exhaust valve seals were pretty much gone so I’m feeling good that the new seals will solve the oil burn at startup.

You must be registered for see images attach

YouTube video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One of the first things I noticed when I test drove the truck was that the steering column was a mess. Turn signals would only latch in one direction, gear shifter return spring was broken, and the horn did not work. Dug into the column and ended up replacing quite a few parts to get everything working right again:

- Turn signal cancel cam
- Turn signal switch
- Wiper switch
- Turn signal lever
- Gear shifter return spring

As a bonus I found someone selling new old stock GMC horn pads on eBay so I picked up one of those as well. It’s nice to have all of the stuff right in front of you fixed!

YouTube video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Having gone through this with my truck, I have to say this is a great video! Clear, concise, and just enough info to help others get the job done. Well done!

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oil pan was up next. This project morphed into replacing the timing cover gasket as well since there is some interplay between the oil pan and timing cover gaskets and I wanted to make sure I got everything on correctly.

With the timing cover off, I could see how loose the original timing chain was (160k miles), so I went ahead with a timing chain replacement as well. The engine is starting to come back together!

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the life of me, I could not figure out a way to get the inspection cover off of the transmission without dropping the y-pipe. Removing the inspection cover was necessary to get the oil pan off.

The slip joint between the y-pipe and catalytic converter was not coming apart so I ended up cutting the y-pipe to get it out. I also broke the end off of one of the manifold studs that holds the y-pipe in place which required a nut to be welded onto the stud to remove it from the manifold.

All new studs are now installed and new y-pipe is in place!

Nut welded onto old stud:

New studs, chased all of the threads in the manifold before installing:

Walker y-pipe: