1988 5.7L TBI to Vortec Crate Engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading this brings a question to mind. What is the difference between a vortec and tbi engine besides the intake system and non swirl port heads? If you where to use all the tbi stuff how would the ecm know that it doesnt' have a 86-95 block and heads? Im assuming everything in the bottom half is the same as any other 350 other then roller lifters. Do the heads make that much of a difference that it needs a tune? Im not completely new to gm engines but my experience is mostly in pre 96 engines.

Bottom end is same between vortec and tbi. Some tbi blocks have provisions for roller cam but not all. 2 bolt mains for anything under 7200# Gross I believe.

The computer mainly uses vacuum to figure out how it injects and the vacuum properties will be slightly different between vortec and tbi.

EDIT*** Majimerlin posted just before me

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. From what ive seen I thought the knock sensor just screwed into the coolant drains that are on the side of the block. I remember replacing the knock sensor on my fbody years ago and covered myself in coolant not knowing. are the older blocks a different thread pitch then the tbi blocks? I agree that giving a tune to something is the way to go if your wanting to get around some things. im to the age that I don't really care about the tune as long as it runs right and it starts and drives lol.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
I am about to perform this same operation in the next couple weeks. I have a 94' about to receive a vortec. tbichips.com is a God send. I have been emailing back and forth with Brian Harris for the last few days. He does the programming and has a wealth of information on his page about what works and what doesn't.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am about to perform this same operation in the next couple weeks. I have a 94' about to receive a vortec. tbichips.com is a God send. I have been emailing back and forth with Brian Harris for the last few days. He does the programming and has a wealth of information on his page about what works and what doesn't.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but TBIchips.com has not been well reviewed here lately. Good luck with your project but I'd be prepared for some snags.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but TBIchips.com has not been well reviewed here lately. Good luck with your project but I'd be prepared for some snags.

Oh? What was the problem? I try to search out this sort of thing, but haven't seen a bad review. I'm also fairly terrible at searches

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh? What was the problem? I try to search out this sort of thing, but haven't seen a bad review. I'm also fairly terrible at searches

I'm not exactly sure, I kind of skim over the issues when they're brought up because I don't own any TBI trucks. If I recall correctly TBIChips and Harris Performance both were sending out sub-par tunes that weren't matched to the hardware very well. Maybe @TylerZ281500 can elaborate? Pretty sure he's the one I see mention this once in a while.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
Right on. I'll keep an eye out for issues with tbichips. It's pretty easy for these things to go sideways when you alter stock configurations and have to communicate all the variables, so I don't expect a snag free experience. Thanks for the heads up though!

Reaction score

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. The Vortec heads do not have an exhaust crossover. Therefore there is no exhaust available to the EGR valve unless you use external plumbing from the exhaust manifold. There is also zero heating of the intake manifold except by the coolant in the thermostat crossover, and where the manifold touches the coolant ports at the back of each head. I'm not sure how this is going to work in cold weather.

2. Most Vortec intake manifolds don't have EGR passages. The TBI / Vortec manifold does.

3. Dorman sells reproduction exhaust manifold, and EGR tube to put a functional EGR back on the Vortec-headed engine. The price is not horrible, but being Dorman, it's all Chinese and you WILL have to resurface the manifold before bolting it on because it WILL be warped.
Manifold = Dorman 674-218 (verify that it will work with your O2 sensor. It may not be tapped for an O2 sensor)
Exhaust tube = Dorman # 598-200
They suggest an EGR valve that crosses to Standard Motor Products #EGV327

4. The Vortec-to-TBI manifold must be made out of cast 14-carat gold. It is enormously expensive.

5. Based on the cost of the Vortec-to-TBI intake and exhaust manifold, the EGR pipe, etc, I'd be looking at EngineQuest aftermarket heads. They've got an exhaust crossover, you should be able to use your existing TBI intake manifold, and exhaust manifolds, which would save you a huge amount of money--about the same as the cost of the new pair of heads.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVROLET-...ash=item27f225a521:g:VS4AAOSwkNZUkw~G&vxp=mtr

If I'm understanding the photo of the heads, they've even got the angle of the center bolt holes correct for TBI use.

For the record, I stuffed a '91--'93 B-body service replacement crate engine into my '88 K1500. (Used to be sold as GM # 12513151, but long discontinued) Roller cam (ultra-mild), swirl-port heads, and flat-top (instead of stock dished) pistons for a small compression-ratio boost. I added Edelbrock 6667 "tubular exhaust system" (emissions-compliant headers.) ZERO tuning, runs great. Not much additional power (a little) and not much improvement in fuel economy (a little.)