1988 5.7L TBI to Vortec Crate Engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
wasn't complaining either. Just have read countless threads about people sending back chips several different times and getting ok'ish results. Awfully hard to tune a million different motors through the mail and phone. There's no better way of tuning than burning yourself and data logging or having it put on a dyno, computer, and a pipe sniffer.
Gotcha, thanks. I was just curious if there was a particular thread that stuck out to you since you seemed to single out tbichips. I've looked and don't see much that would be relevant, just people expecting max results from minimal effort.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The now defunct site fullsizechevy.com used to have plenty of complaints about tbichips. Then someone would recommend eaglemark on dynamicefi.com to help them out and he would get their truck running . The dynamicefi guys said his chips were basically stock with some slight difference.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The now defunct site fullsizechevy.com used to have plenty of complaints about tbichips. Then someone would recommend eaglemark on dynamicefi.com to help them out and he would get their truck running . The dynamicefi guys said his chips were basically stock with some slight difference.

Mark contributed a lot of useful information at gearhead-efi.com also. It was a sad day when he passed away, he was willing to help anyone with anything EFI related. There are still some guys over there that have taken over, a guy named Dave will do mail-order tuning. I’ve worked with him a few times and he’s really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now defunct?

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh I checked it is up again, last few times I looked FSC did not work.

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, the site is mostly functional. There was a list of things that still needed to be fine-tuned after the site was upgraded last year (including some search tool bugs), but none of those items have been fixed yet. It's been real quiet too, just a small handful of member posts per day. No site news though, haven't even heard from the admin since last summer...

You should still be able to run a search for tbichips and find the thread(s) you're looking for though.

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The accessory brackets that bolt up to the vortec heads are different from the 95 and older arent they? if so, then you would have to do some switcharoo with the AC and alternator i would think?
If you're determined to keep the tbi just go with basic crate motor replacement for an 88 and talk with fast355 who drools over modifying the tbi mechanically and programmatically.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So what is the best option for vortec heads on a tbi if you want to delete all egr and have good power on the bottom end?