1988 5.7L TBI to Vortec Crate Engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure what you're crate engine plans are. you might even have one already, but with our TBI based crates, we offer the ECU tuning with them...

https://blueprintengines.com/search?q=*Part+#:+tbi*&type=product

we offer mild upgrade vortec engines too...but you're doing your own intake, and tune, if you want to use this one.
https://blueprintengines.com/products/gm383-vortec-truck

just throwing it out there,

Johnny @BluePrint Engines
If you can afford it, this is the way to go. Probably double the cost of a factory crate motor and intake though. TBI replacement 383 is the way I'm going when my 350 bites it.

Reaction score
I ran a tune from tbichips.com about 3 months ago. it worked alright and i did have issues, it ran pig rich and idled high, but Brian Harris was reasonable to work with and after a few chips had it going good. In the end i switched to A aftermarket 4bbl tbi setup and it is leaps and bounds ahead of the Rochester 220. And for the engine if you want vortec just run a bog standard l31. for the intake use your favorite aftermarket intake. If you are worried about cold starts, use a q-jet manifold with the coolant heated adapter plate that the big block tbi's used.

Reaction score
For example, edelbrock part number 2116 and gm part number 10085769. If you go this route you run the coolant bypass hoses through this plate (from the manifold under the t-stat then back to the pump). If it was good enough for gm to prevent throttle body icing, its good enough for me. And as a side note i only get throttle body icing issues when it is 30 to 40 ish degrees and humid and that was after i installed a 4bbl. Never had any issues using the stock tbi with the air cleaner pre heater tube. All in all i love my swap and i can provide pictures if wanted.

Last edited:

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
I've never read anything about TBI chips that didn't go "after several tries it was ok"
Will you link me to the other complaints? I tried to find dissatisfied reviews but all I could find was people commenting without actually having personal experience, or comments by people who have never custom built anything else in their life and don't know what to expect.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Not sure what you're crate engine plans are. you might even have one already, but with our TBI based crates, we offer the ECU tuning with them...

https://blueprintengines.com/search?q=*Part+#:+tbi*&type=product

we offer mild upgrade vortec engines too...but you're doing your own intake, and tune, if you want to use this one.
https://blueprintengines.com/products/gm383-vortec-truck

just throwing it out there,

Johnny @BluePrint Engines

I bought Blueprint cast iron vortec heads from Speedway racing for my 99 Sub and could not be happier, highly recommended, especially for the price.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will you link me to the other complaints? I tried to find dissatisfied reviews but all I could find was people commenting without actually having personal experience, or comments by people who have never custom built anything else in their life and don't know what to expect.
Idk. Google TBI chips reviews. Or tbichipsgmt400

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wasn't complaining either. Just have read countless threads about people sending back chips several different times and getting ok'ish results. Awfully hard to tune a million different motors through the mail and phone. There's no better way of tuning than burning yourself and data logging or having it put on a dyno, computer, and a pipe sniffer.