1988 5.7L TBI to Vortec Crate Engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kartch

Reaction score
I am sorry if this is answered somewhere. I didn't find anything in searching that answers my question. I have a 1988 Cheyenne with the stock 5.7L TBI engine. I'm getting a knock and want to replace with a crate engine.

I would rather not buy a crate swirl port head engine if I can convert to the 1996 and later Vortec.

What would I need to do to convert to a 1996 Vortec while keeping the TBI? I know I would have to get an intake and adapter.
- could I use the TBI as it sits?
- would i have to rechip?
- What would I need to do for EGR?
- Any other parts I would need to get for the swap?
- Anything else I'm missing?

Is it even worth it? It's just a driver. I'm not looking to make it into a high horsepower truck.

Thanks in advance!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Could use TBI as is, but I would absolutely port it.

Chip is a must.

EGR can be deleted if you wish.

Totally worth it, price can't be beat and it bolts right in!

Kartch

Reaction score
Could use TBI as is, but I would absolutely port it.

Chip is a must.

EGR can be deleted if you wish.

Totally worth it, price can't be beat and it bolts right in!

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by porting the TBI?
Do I need to change anything to delete EGR? Is that part of the chip?
Who do you recommend for a chip?

Do the exhaust manifold bolt up?

Kartch

Reaction score
Yay! I’ve already ported my TBI. Sounds like this swap is the way to go. What makes it even better is that the Vortec crate engine is $200 cheaper than replacing the original with a crate engine.

Anybody have suggestions on a chip?

Kartch

Reaction score
Would I use the distributor from the TBI vehicle on the Vortec crate engine?

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You use the dist from the tbi unit.....

Some people dont evern re-tune with a chip and they say it runs okay..... +1 on not wanting toilet tech heads

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Reading this brings a question to mind. What is the difference between a vortec and tbi engine besides the intake system and non swirl port heads? If you where to use all the tbi stuff how would the ecm know that it doesnt' have a 86-95 block and heads? Im assuming everything in the bottom half is the same as any other 350 other then roller lifters. Do the heads make that much of a difference that it needs a tune? Im not completely new to gm engines but my experience is mostly in pre 96 engines.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Reading this brings a question to mind. What is the difference between a vortec and tbi engine besides the intake system and non swirl port heads? If you where to use all the tbi stuff how would the ecm know that it doesnt' have a 86-95 block and heads? Im assuming everything in the bottom half is the same as any other 350 other then roller lifters. Do the heads make that much of a difference that it needs a tune? Im not completely new to gm engines but my experience is mostly in pre 96 engines.

Yes the lower end is all the same. The ecm would never know. Technically you can put the heads on a 84 and older block to. Major differance is most of the old blocks do not have a spot threaded for a knock sensor and sometimes the compression depending on block setup.

Yes, the heads are that differant but.... not 100% needed a tune because of that but always a better idea as the flow all changes.

Even a bone stock motor can benefit from a tune. The stock tune 99% of the time is a conservative, smog friendly, generic tune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk