14 Bolt Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmig

Can't leave it stock
Reaction score
I have a 454ss rear I am reworking and there are no replacement axles for this rear. I called Moser, Superior and Dutchman and none of them have the stock or the tooling to reproduce these axles. Mine had some pitting on the bearing journal which I am trying to get repaired by a machine shop that can spray weld to repair the affected area and then turn them down to factory specs. If I can find anyone to do this I am prepared to install repair bearings and call it a day. I would just convert your front rotors to six lug and call it a day.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
so am i right is saying that a 14b ff will swap right in just like a 14b sf 6 lug and all ill have to do is buy 8 lug rims to match my front rims?

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
so am i right is saying that a 14b ff will swap right in just like a 14b sf 6 lug and all ill have to do is buy 8 lug rims to match my front rims?

Yes. You are correct. I still wouldn't, but it's your truck.

GreaseDog

Pickup Artist
Reaction score
14B U-joint info:

Universal joints:
Swapping a 14 bolt in place of a 10 bolt can get a little tricky to some because of the possible need for a conversion U joint. All 14 bolts that i have seen, both SF and FF, use a Spicer 1350 U joint. With this said, GM doesn't commonly use a Spicer 1350 joint on 1/2 ton trucks, most commonly they use a Saginaw S44 joint. I have however seen Spicer 1310 joints, and the occasional Spicer 1330.

Obtaining a positive ID on the joint isn't hard at all, just pull the joint, and measure it. If by chance you have stock U joints, you'll have to take a torch, and heat the caps up until all of the nylon melts out of the driveshaft and oozes out of the holes. Rather than using a retainer clip like the replacement joints do, GM uses an injected nylon retainer. Now that you've got the U joint out, you can measure it and see what it actually is. Here are the specs of the 4 above joints:

Saginaw S44: Cap diameter- 1.125", Lockup - Internal (clips inside the yoke) 2.556"
Spicer 1310: Cap diameter - 1.063", Lockup - External (clips outside the yoke) 3.219"
Spicer 1330: Cap diameter - 1.063", lockup - External 3.622"
Spicer 1350: Cap diameter - 1.188", Lockup - External 3.622"

Now that you have determined the stock U joint, you can find which conversion joint you need:

Straight Size Joints:
S44 Neapco PN: 2-3011
1310 Neapco PN: 1-0153
1330 Neapco PN: 2-4800
1350 Neapco PN: 2-0053

Conversion Joints:
S44 to 1350 is Neapco PN 2-1153
1310 to 1350 is Neapco PN 3-3140
1330 to 1350 is Neapco PN 2-3050

If by chance you have any other combination, which would be an extremely rare case, you can look up the joints by size here: http://www.aawheel.com/SiteResources...oUniversal.pdf Dimensional listings start on page 260.

Info thanks to GreaseDog

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Well the guy i found with the 14b backed out for the second time on meeting today (he's worthless) but it's such a good deal i don't wana throw it away $300 for the axle 4 inch lift block and leafs and the u bolts and plates or whatever i need. the main reason i wanted this is because it comes with the u bolt setup but i found one at the junk yard for 450 and it has the g80 (for what thats worth). So i got some thinking to do for 150 less i can get the full package, that has been used with 39.5" tires if i can ever meet up with the guy. So If i get the one from the yard can someone tell me what ill need for u bolts or u bolt plates of whatever? thanks in advance guys

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Full-floaters have a 10.5" ring gear and are stronger than a 9.5" semi-floater. You can get SF in 6-luggers, and SF 8-luggers are easily converted to 6 with new axleshafts.

FF only came in 8-lugs, and require an expensive kit to convert to 6 (like $500 or something IIRC).

Non float would be when you forget to tighten your lug nuts all the way and....

So let me get this straight....... if I find a 14blt sf rearend, even if it is 8 lug, it isn't hard to conver to a 6 lug? I don't know much about rearends yet, but I'll have to learn :lol:

How difficult is the swap and what would I need to save if I found one at a yard?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Well i got the axle i think ill try my best to make a step by step thread when I'm done

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
So let me get this straight....... if I find a 14blt sf rearend, even if it is 8 lug, it isn't hard to conver to a 6 lug? I don't know much about rearends yet, but I'll have to learn :lol:

How difficult is the swap and what would I need to save if I found one at a yard?

as long as its a sf 8 lug you can change the shafts and drums to convert it to a 6 lug axle and you need to get u bolt plates and the axle and breaks and if not much more get the driveshaft so you can just get a heavy half u joint instead of the conversion u joint.... but atleas axle and u bolt plates