Wiring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BackInBlack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi peeps, I have a question. I will be attempting to wire a HD harness or at least do the 4 hi mod. I came across some THHN wire for free and I wanted to know if I could use it to do either one. Im unemployed so " buy some wire" wouldn't help. I have some split loom so the wire would be protected. I know it can be stiffer than AWG but I figured it was worth a shot asking. Thanks in advance. -Rick

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Solid THHN? No you can't use that. I would say yes to stranded THHN. If you're local to So Cal I can give you some stranded 12 and 14 THHN. I'm a electrician. I get it for free.

BackInBlack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im in Texas, :( lol. Do you know about automotive wiring? cause I wanted to buy some diodes to keep the power from back feeding to the switch, i was gonna get some 1N4007 diodes but didnt know if they would overheat or cause any problems on the trucks 12 v system. Also could i put some heat shrink tubing on it without causing problems? Thanks again :)

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where about in texas... rather large state..lol. if you can not afford to do it right now with the stuff that will work i would wait.. you can still see at night with dim lights. That way you are not doing the job twice for the same outcome..

sent from what use to be a great country..

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Solid THHN? No you can't use that. I would say yes to stranded THHN. If you're local to So Cal I can give you some stranded 12 and 14 THHN. I'm a electrician. I get it for free.

Technically you could. you could get it to work its just not the best setup.

BackInBlack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have some stranded wire, i bought some relays, shrink tubing, i want to buy some new connectors for low/ high beams, i also got some diodes to prevent feedback to the trigger wires(OEM harness). I bought a automatic resetting circuit breaker for low beams and a fuse holder for the high beams, that way if anything shorts out while im driving, I wont be completely in the dark. Just waiting for time to take apart my grille and measure the stock harness... and still need to buy the connectors, I can reuse the stock ones but they're old. If im going to do the job, might as well do it complete... lol would I mount the relays on the drivers side or passenger side closer to the battery.

Sent from my 350 Vortec TBI powered tablet.

Last edited:

BackInBlack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where about in texas... rather large state..lol. if you can not afford to do it right now with the stuff that will work i would wait.. you can still see at night with dim lights. That way you are not doing the job twice for the same outcome..

sent from what use to be a great country..
South Texas, bout 3 hours from san antonio