Wiring harness interchangeable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roronoa707

Reaction score
Hello all, new to forum,

I have an 89 Scottsdale, (single cab 2wd) that I picked up for free. It had a dash fire from an improperly installed breathalyzer. My question is: what wiring harness can I use? Can I use harness from a 2500? Can it be from a higher trim and not use the connectors for windows and locks? Can it be a 4x4? I want to keep the 88-94 square dash and corresponding speedo.
Thx for any info.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Yes, you can use '88 to '91 harness. If you cannot find a harness I have an '89 complete uncut dash harness in the shop

Roronoa707

Reaction score
Yes, you can use '88 to '91 harness. If you cannot find a harness I have an '89 complete uncut dash harness in the shop
Ok, thx, I have manual windows and locks, will that make a difference in the harness? A local wrecker has a 91 2500 4x4 with electric windows, that I can pull dash and harness from, but I'm not sure if the plugs will all be the same or if I will run into any other issues

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Ok, thx, I have manual windows and locks, will that make a difference in the harness? A local wrecker has a 91 2500 4x4 with electric windows, that I can pull dash and harness from, but I'm not sure if the plugs will all be the same or if I will run into any other issues

Not that I can Think of. The speedo, headlights, computer, steering column , heater fan etc.all use the same plugs across the board, The 2500 harness that you are going after will have extra connections that you can just not use,(power windows,door locks etc), The only thing that MIGHT be an issue is the fan/heater controls But that can be worked around with a little work.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Closest relatives in the harness world for "old interior" GMT400's - speaking mainly in engine harness terms, three groups: 88-90, 91-92, 93-94

As far as dash harness, 91 uses the same connector as 88-90 but has 3 wires in a different arrangement; the cluster will not behave correctly. Info on this included in some of the cluster swap moonies-91 threads.

Richard