Wipers don't work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so we had alot of ice the other day and I moved my truck into the garage to thaw it out. No ice on it the next morning so I tried to run the wipers and they stopped half way up, wouldn't do anything so I took em off bc they were in front of my face, not a couple days later they don't run at all...zip...Idk what's wrong with em ?? It's a 99 seirra btw

Sent from my torqued up HTC One

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I would start by grounding the wiper motor. Lack of ground is a common problem on windshield wipers because they are mounted with rubber bushings. If you are certain that the motor is grounded, and the fuse is good, 98 times out of 100 the wiper motor pulse board is bad. They are inexpensive and can be changed with the wiper motor still on the truck. Those other two times, its the switch or the wiper motor itself bad. Do the ground first and let me know what you find.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The lack of grounding is because of cracked solder joints where the harness socket mounts to the wiper motor circuit board. The very first pin is the ground and it's the first one that cracks due to its position. The weight/vibration of the harness hanging off the socket is what slowly kills it.

Super easy and free fix if you have a soldering iron, electronics (NOT plumbing acid core) solder, and even the tiniest amount of soldering skill. Just resolder the 5 joints where the socket attaches to the board. Done. I also like to shoot some contact cleaner on the 3 tabs where it plugs into the motor itself, and into the harness socket, but that's just icing on top - the real issue is cracked solder joints.

Note the very first pin nearest the socket - and how it has a thick trace that goes all around the board. That's the ground. If you look closely at the picture you'll see that the pin has a crack all the way around it where the solder has failed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Yup, known issue. GM even issued a recall at some point. Mine did the same thing. Resoldered the above pictured points, been fine for years. Use solder with lead or silver in it, more flexible, helps prevent future cracking.