Where to tap power for new amps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tnmedic

Reaction score
Ok I am finally finishing up my car stereo and getting my amps and sub installed this week I hope. I really want a clean looking wiring under the hood so with this side post battery where would be the best spot go tap for the amps? I am thinking a 4g power wire to run into the truck, fused of course, to a distribution block and 4g to each amp, old school fosgates- 600aIV for the mids and highs, and 500a2 for the sub ( a little over kill for a single 10 but have a second box if I really want the second sub. So can I grab the power from the teminals in the engine compartment fuse box or do I really need to run it straight off the battery? Anyway let me know since I will try and do it sunday after I get off work. Thanks for the help or suggestions

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score
It would be best to run straight from the battery, they make extended posts so you would have room to add an additional terminal.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My amp is connected at the power distribution box under the hood haven't had any issues with it for power in the 2yrs its been in there

Sent from my DROID X with true duals

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
If you hook into the power dist block(fuse block), make sure the jumper wire from that block to the battery is in good shape. I've run 6 hid ballasts off just one post before and they all fire up perfectly fine, but if you run any major power, I'd run a larger jumper wire from your battery to the fuse power block. Also, make sure you use solid copper connections for your wires.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
If your battery has top-posts also get a terminal to go to them just for the sound system.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, you can get top post terminals with extra connection points........you can also get side post terminals with multiple connections too.