Whats the best 6" lift kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Its probably from mid to late 90's because black diamond went off the market for a while then came back. Not sure that they still offer the lift kit you have, but I bet some super lift components are compatible.

98chevyz71

RESIDENT CHOP GUY
Reaction score
Its probably from mid to late 90's because black diamond went off the market for a while then came back. Not sure that they still offer the lift kit you have, but I bet some super lift components are compatible.

the guy I bought the truck from bought the truck in 2000 and he put the lift iirc on so it it has to be made in the 99 - 04 range

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I personally would recommend either BDS or RCD. I like the warranty on the BDS and the fact I used to deal with them on a regular basis. Their customer service is top notch. I prefer RCD though just because their lift kits are great quality. They also come with Bilstein 5100 series shocks. Both the BDS and the RCD are knuckle kits. I prefer the knuckle kits over the bracket kits.

BigandTall

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys!

I don't plan on doing a whole lot of true offroading and rock crawling. On average, the most axle articulation my truck will see is when I accidentally get too close to the curbs and I roll up on them. Its going to see most of its life on the highway. I'd still like to know when I go through the fields to that I will clear most of the obstructions and not have to sweat walking back to civilization because something gave out on my suspension.

I am leaning more towards the BDS kit simply because it seems to have so much more to it than the RCX kit shows. As I said earlier, even if the RCX kit is only $995, once you buy the $95 crossmember, the $50 sway bar ends, buy the raw steel to make relocating brackets for brake lines, etc I think I'd come out ahead(If only in saved time and frustration) by buying the kit that has all of that worked out for me. The BDS kit comes with new LCA's so I'm guessing that accomodates the new ball joint angles. It also comes with a new bracket that bolts to the front differential that drops it enough to keep the angles in correct alignment. It comes withan extra rear leaf spring to help with rear height and ride. On top of all of that, since the BDS is a true 6" kit, I don't have to crank my Torsion bars or buy new indexing keys causing a stiffer ride than factory. On the RCX kit, if I don't buy the extenders for the sway bars then that also takes away from the ride.

I know I sound like a idiot talking about ride quality on a truck that will wind up having 35" offroad tires on it but I have tons of back problems. My 5'3" wife will also be driving my truck on occasions so I'd like it to retain something that resembles road manners.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys!

I don't plan on doing a whole lot of true offroading and rock crawling. On average, the most axle articulation my truck will see is when I accidentally get too close to the curbs and I roll up on them. Its going to see most of its life on the highway. I'd still like to know when I go through the fields to that I will clear most of the obstructions and not have to sweat walking back to civilization because something gave out on my suspension.

I am leaning more towards the BDS kit simply because it seems to have so much more to it than the RCX kit shows. As I said earlier, even if the RCX kit is only $995, once you buy the $95 crossmember, the $50 sway bar ends, buy the raw steel to make relocating brackets for brake lines, etc I think I'd come out ahead(If only in saved time and frustration) by buying the kit that has all of that worked out for me. The BDS kit comes with new LCA's so I'm guessing that accomodates the new ball joint angles. It also comes with a new bracket that bolts to the front differential that drops it enough to keep the angles in correct alignment. It comes withan extra rear leaf spring to help with rear height and ride. On top of all of that, since the BDS is a true 6" kit, I don't have to crank my Torsion bars or buy new indexing keys causing a stiffer ride than factory. On the RCX kit, if I don't buy the extenders for the sway bars then that also takes away from the ride.

I know I sound like a idiot talking about ride quality on a truck that will wind up having 35" offroad tires on it but I have tons of back problems. My 5'3" wife will also be driving my truck on occasions so I'd like it to retain something that resembles road manners.

Well if you don't have to have 35's my truck rides awesome on the 4" rcx kit an it's actually decranked from stock so the angles are awesome. I'm running 305/70/17 on mine an they just barely rub on the valence occasionally. Personally I think the 4" kit is perfect for a daily, my truck is pretty much the same height as a stock 4x4 F250. Mine spends it's time on the road as well an aside from a little more tire noise an some tracking on bad/rough roads from the wider tires it still has the same road manners as stock. Are there higher trucks than mine around, ya there are but unless you sas it on 40+ tires someone will almost always be higher. Don't discount the rcx kit if your going to spend most of your time on the pavement. Spend that extra 1k you save on rims an tires.

Check the rcx scratch an dent store. They had the Tahoe brackets on there not to long ago. Might save you a little over new...

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I think Paul is right :hidesbehindsofa: if she's gonna be a pavement ponder, especially with your show truck status, go with a 4" rcx and have the lift powder coated.

BigandTall

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought BDS came with knuckles and upper control arms not the lowers.
You are right. I let my typing fingers get in front of my reading eyes.

Well if you don't have to have 35's my truck rides awesome on the 4" rcx kit an it's actually decranked from stock so the angles are awesome. I'm running 305/70/17 on mine an they just barely rub on the valence occasionally. Personally I think the 4" kit is perfect for a daily, my truck is pretty much the same height as a stock 4x4 F250. Mine spends it's time on the road as well an aside from a little more tire noise an some tracking on bad/rough roads from the wider tires it still has the same road manners as stock. Are there higher trucks than mine around, ya there are but unless you sas it on 40+ tires someone will almost always be higher. Don't discount the rcx kit if your going to spend most of your time on the pavement. Spend that extra 1k you save on rims an tires.

Check the rcx scratch an dent store. They had the Tahoe brackets on there not to long ago. Might save you a little over new...

Thanks for the input. You made some really good points. I'll readily admit that I don't much about the lift kits, that's why I came to you guys.

I don't feel that I need the tallest on the road but it'd be nice to have a truck that looks proportional. In the back of my mind this whole time, I've also been considering the fact that I have a 7' tall garage door and every inch I add to my truck is just putting me that much closer to changing my oil and tinkering on her out in the elements again. If I can add a 4" lift and some mud tires to it and the truck look "beefy", I'd be a happy camper.

I think Paul is right :hidesbehindsofa: if she's gonna be a pavement ponder, especially with your show truck status, go with a 4" rcx and have the lift powder coated.

I think the RCX kits come in black PC, which is perfect for me. I've never been a fan of the brightly colored lift components on trucks. To me it just reinforces the fact that the closest to offroading the truck will ever be is when you pull it into the grass to wash the truck.:jester:

Last edited:

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

that's the only other one ive seen. my buddy has one on his and its been junk. eats balljoints and control arm bushings set at 6" and decent angles.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
I loved my Rough Country lift set at 4" on 33s. Rode like an absolute dream. Won't be the biggest out there by any means but none of these trucks are really ever the biggest out there. Bigger than stock but smaller than just about everything else hahaha
Here was mine set at 4" next to a stock Z71 on 265s and next to my dads stock 4x4 Mega cab also on 265s. Now that I'm at 6" I'm bigger than it haha