What type of transfer case is in my suburban, and how does it mechanically kick into 4x4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey, i got a GMC Suburban 96' 5.7l 1500k and i was driving thru the snow on the road. When i decided to put it in 4 high and i just couldnt figure out how it mecanically (i presume) switched as soft as butter. Like there was more sound in the relay for the switch panel.

Could somebody try to explain it to me like the swithing mechanism and anyone who knows what the name of the transfer case is?

Thank you. Merry christmas.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NP241C is the lever shift one, NP243 is the push button shift. They're pretty much the same except the NP243 has a shift solenoid obviously. The physical switching engages some forks that push gears around to send power to the front driveshaft. Simultaneously a switch sends power to the front diff actuator which either heats up some oil or has an electric motor to lock the front axle.