What next??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Floorman

Reaction score
Ok guys, here's the story:
My 98 k1500 with 180,000 on it overheated on me. I was 2 hours from home and in the middle of nowhere. I let it cool off and limped it to the nearest place to get some water in it. Topped it off and when it started I knew immediately something wasn't right. It sounded terrible and the engine light came on. I limped it home but stopped at autozone to have the code checked. It came back as a misfire in cylinder 3.
I bought new plugs, wires, rotor and dizzy cap. Started it up and it it's still sounds bad.engine light is off but it still sound like it has a miss.
The oil looks good (not milky)
Wondering now what to look at to troubleshoot this issue.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

1995sierraz71

Reaction score
It could possibly have a burnt valve, had that issue on a couple old ford 351s after they way overheated

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A compression check will tell you where the leak is.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
The engine that came in my project was severely overheated before I bought it. The lower hose split wide open and lost all coolant. It still ran, but rough. No milky oil or smoke out the exhaust, but when I tore down the engine, the head gaskets were shot between cylinders 3 and 5, and 4 and 6. I could see light in between the compression seals

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The engine that came in my project was severely overheated before I bought it. The lower hose split wide open and lost all coolant. It still ran, but rough. No milky oil or smoke out the exhaust, but when I tore down the engine, the head gaskets were shot between cylinders 3 and 5, and 4 and 6. I could see light in between the compression seals
I would agree, you probably blew a head gasket, but the only way to know for sure would be to pull the heads. Like I said in my first post, a compression check is where to start.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Head or head gasket is the right direction. As has been suggested, start with a compression test to see which side. I would want to know where the problem was, but if I was that far into the motor, I'd have both heads reworked. I'm a "while I'm at it " guy.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Head or head gasket is the right direction. As has been suggested, start with a compression test to see which side. I would want to know where the problem was, but if I was that far into the motor, I'd have both heads reworked. I'm a "while I'm at it " guy.
supersave is right, if you do one side, you will want to do both.