What is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarylandGuy

Reaction score
hello all, first post here. Excellent site! Lots of great info here.

Anyway, hoping for some insight. Just bought a 97 cheyenne 4x4 and was under the drivers side dash and noticed this black box zip tied up there. Doesnt look factory to me, and the truck will not start with it unplugged.
You must be registered for see images attach
Truck is basic as they come, roll up windows manual locks. As you can see, it’s connected to a plug under the dash for something thats no longer there. Any ideas what this thing is?

Thanks,
Nick

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like part of an aftermarket alarm or remote start. Are there any other model number markings besides the 5900A on the top? Maybe a brand name?

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
That’s what it look like to me, a car alarm or remote start. Doesn’t look factory.

MarylandGuy

Reaction score
Nope, came with nothing of the sort and no other markings. Now to figure out how to take it out and fix the wiring haha.

Thanks
Nick

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Looking up the PN doesn't get an exact match but it bounces back and forth between a Python 990 and a Viper 5900 (5301V) system. Might be worth a shot to contact both Python and Viper with pictures and ask them if they might be able to give you a little guidance.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya, un-fubaring those devices can be almost as much of a PITA as installing them if you have no direction.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
:D

The thing is obviously an alarm or simply a remote start. The wiring is explained right there on the back panel.

Hmmm, see the orange and red wires, crimped to yellow wire. Someone extended the factory wiring with that yellow wire so they could allow the box to interrupt the cranking circuit.

As a test, unplug the red/orange connector at the box and jump it on the truck side harness. See if truck starts. If so, cut the orange and red loose, crimp the two yellow ends together...no more trouble starting with the box removed.

Richard

VALBOLSKI

Reaction score
Ive been trying to figure it out also. I have the same thing, with differend numbers on it, and no eiring diagrams.