what all to replace/Any good upgrades to install when replacing a Vortec?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Constantine

Reaction score
Hey ya'll,
My Yukon is about to roll over to 240,000 miles and has started using oil, and water but that may just be intake gaskets again.
Any how I figure I better go ahead and do an overhaul of my engine.

I haven't called for a quote on having mine overhauled, but if it is significantly cheaper then I will have it overhauled and buy an intake manifold spacer and some decent headers.
If it isn't cheaper then I'll prob buy a long block from gm.

Anyway, I'm going to buy the delphi mpfi upgrade, any other good upgrades for a stock engine?

Also my parts list for supporting products seems short:
Ac Delco iradium plugs
Delphi wires
Water pump
Thermostat.
What else should I replace?

Thanks for any help fellas.

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't Bother with any intake spacers as they will result in no performance gains, If I were you, I would do this (in order, until you run out of money lol)

Black Bear Tune
Cam Swap
Head Work, Beehive Springs,
1.6 Roller Rockers
Headers.

That's Just my two cents, That's the mods that I did on my 350, I listed them in order (First = Biggest Improvement , last = Smallest improvement.

Constantine

Reaction score
One of these spacers?
http://paceperformance.com/i-515685...pacer-suburban-tahoe-yukon-c-k-1500-3500.html

I didn't know you could install a larger cam with the factory computer system still functional.
Are there performance camshafts made specifically for the 96-99's ?

Also with the cam you used and the 1.6 rockers did you have to use custom length pushrods or machine the heads to correct rocker arm geometry?

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One of these spacers?
http://paceperformance.com/i-515685...pacer-suburban-tahoe-yukon-c-k-1500-3500.html

I didn't know you could install a larger cam with the factory computer system still functional.
Are there performance camshafts made specifically for the 96-99's ?

Also with the cam you used and the 1.6 rockers did you have to use custom length pushrods or machine the heads to correct rocker arm geometry?

I had an intake spacer like you mentioned (commonly called a vmax) and it wasn't worth it. I will continue to recommend the LT4 hot cam for the vortec for most builds out there. The geometry was fine but it is best to check every time. I do agree with the tune, cam, valve springs and full length headers. Don't waste your time or money on short headers.

Constantine

Reaction score
I created a new thread in the vortec performance sub forum to address the performance questions and such.

I've updated my supporting products to purchase.

1 radiator, upper and lower hoses and heater core/manifold hose and fitting.

2 engine oil cooler lines

3 water pump and thermostat

4 idler, tensioner & drive belt

5 pcv valve & all filters

5 felpro intake gasket set, felpro manifold bolt set & plenum gasket set.

6) accell ignition kit with distributor.

is there anything else that would be good to replace as well?