USB ashtray

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FitzWill

Reaction score
Greetings folks, just a quick post about a happy little solution I found. The dash in my 99 Burban has gotten kinda hacked up by previous owners, and the lighter sockets had been cut out. I wanted some quick 12v and found this little USB/12v socket brick at wally world. 11 bucks, and it fit about perfect into the ashtray. I hole-sawed a 7/8" hole in the back of the ashtray to run the wires out and allow the brick to sit a little farther in. I've got the top edge of the brick under the steel cover, which holds it in place. Ashtray even closes properly, and there's a red pilot light as a bonus.

Attachments

• IMG_0630.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0628.JPG
    IMG_0628.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 64

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was just mocking up a way to mount USB port in my 91 ashtray. Dash is too good to cut, I have a spare ash tray I don't mind cutting.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Greetings folks, just a quick post about a happy little solution I found. The dash in my 99 Burban has gotten kinda hacked up by previous owners, and the lighter sockets had been cut out. I wanted some quick 12v and found this little USB/12v socket brick at wally world. 11 bucks, and it fit about perfect into the ashtray. I hole-sawed a 7/8" hole in the back of the ashtray to run the wires out and allow the brick to sit a little farther in. I've got the top edge of the brick under the steel cover, which holds it in place. Ashtray even closes properly, and there's a red pilot light as a bonus.
Did you find this in electronic department or in automotive department? Since I go in several wm's weekly for work, this is something I will look at. My 2021 model phone doesn't think my 1999 model truck and old charger are very compatible with it, and charges slowly. Proof nobody back in the 90s predicted how ubiquitous personal electronic devices would be by now ( or they figured we'd all be in newer vehicles by now!).

FitzWill

Reaction score
It was in Automotive. EverStart brand, model 5135. I snapped a pic with my wallet to estimate size before i bought it.

Attachments

• IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 16