Tutorial: Installing factory tinted rear windows in a crew cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Note: I'll take pictures when the windows are installed, I just removed them from the donor 5 minutes ago on my way home from work.

Factory smoked glass is in my opinion the best quality tint you can get. The rear windows are very easy to do, even if the donor has power windows and has no battery. If you don't mind destroying the donor's window seal the two windows can be removed from the donor in 10 minutes or less. The tutorial assumes that the windows are up with no power available to the motors. My donor was a '95 Tahoe, and my '98 has crank windows.

Steps for removal:

-remove door handle trim ring and any electrical switches

-remove door panel

-remove inner and outer lower window seals (felts)

-look down where the felt used to be on the inner side of the door and you will see two 10mm bolts attaching the glass to the lifting mechanism, remove these two bolts. There happens to be a hole on the inner side of the door that lines up with one of these bolts, the other is hidden by the door handle, I just used a 10mm wrench slipped down from the top.

-from here, you can use a razor blade to cut as much of the surrounding seal as possible, then you should be able to push the glass outwards. One corner has a runner guide, so you really have to get the seal out in that corner. Once you have it fully popped outwards you need to shimmy the glass towards the rear of the truck and upwards, with a bit of jimmying it will come right out. I didn't even worry about scratching because any glass that is going to come into contact with the metal from the door will be below the felt line.

- one of my donor's windows was about 5mm open, so it didn't need any cutting of the seal.

To install: reverse order, but it's easier if you have the mechanism all the way down, there are big open holes down there that make installation a breeze. As it would seem, the outer felts had small plastic tabs keeping them in place, so I'm running a small bead of window sealant to make sure the wind doesn't take it.

Like I said though, pictures will be up later, I need to find time to take the pics around my 2 year old and 3 week old's needs!

Last edited: