Truck leaking antifreeze running hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paytonz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So yesterday my truck started running hot(2 lines above 260) so I pulled over and gave it some gas and the thermostat opened up and it went down to about 210. So I left it there over night to see if it was leaking and would leave a puddle. And when I went back this morning, it had created a puddle about 12nches in a 12 hour period. So I put all water and drove it home and it ran fine. So my question is, what should I start checking, the thermostat is fine, it was replaced about a month ago. and it was leaking from the passenger side when I looked at it this morning. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The truck only has 90k and its a 96 so I didn't think it was the water pump. Please help ME! Thank you if advance.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Passenger side at the very front of truck? or pass side around the rear of engine?

I'm guessing the rads got a hole, to be honest, if puddle is at front of truck.
Water pump should puke water out the hole in top if it's shot.

If near rear of engine, might be quick disconnect, but I don't know if that would leak if it wasn't running..

Where exactly is the puddle located on the ground? Can you see any signs of a leak in the engine bay?

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
look from under the truck to the bottom of the waterpump and see if its wet around the small hole in the center of pump if so pump is gone

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Radiator has a pretty sizeable leak then. I have the same issue minus the over heating because i keep putting coolant back into the truck.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Water pump is first likely suspect. Check as BABulldog mentions.

Check around your thermostat housing to make sure the gasket is not leaking or if the housing has cracked during your recent work.

Then hoses at the ends and finally radiator....also,, check to make sure the radiator drain-**** is not leaking/loose.