Truck is missing and popping. HELP PLZ!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnbalderas90k1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
check your timing, engine vacuum, see if all the plugs are firing you can do a vague check with the timing light. just put the pickup on each spark plug wire. check fuel pressure while your at it. it should be from 9-13 psi. you have to get an adapter though but you can use the vacuum gauge.

Johnbalderas90k1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
to check the timing get some white chalk and mark the harmonic balancer on the notch. then mark the 0 on the timing indicator with the chalk. hook up the light to the battery and put the pick up on the number one wire it is the first one on the right side if your facing the engine. start the engine let it run and warm up then point the light at the indicator and see if the two lines are lined up. if not then loosen the dizzy there will be a bolt on the left of it loosen it( i think its a 9/16 or a 14mm). turn the dizzy back and forth to line up the chalk marks. when they are lined up then tighten the bolt ( make sure you dont move the dizzy while yopur doing it) and disconnect the timing light shut, off your engine and grab yourself a cold one :)

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
to check the timing get some white chalk and mark the harmonic balancer on the notch. then mark the 0 on the timing indicator with the chalk. hook up the light to the battery and put the pick up on the number one wire it is the first one on the right side if your facing the engine. start the engine let it run and warm up then point the light at the indicator and see if the two lines are lined up. if not then loosen the dizzy there will be a bolt on the left of it loosen it( i think its a 9/16 or a 14mm). turn the dizzy back and forth to line up the chalk marks. when they are lined up then tighten the bolt ( make sure you dont move the dizzy while yopur doing it) and disconnect the timing light shut, off your engine and grab yourself a cold one :)
make sure to disconnect the Bypass plug before you do that.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Dont forget to unplug the EST wire before setting the timing. Should be a brown wire by the firewall.

stevehayes01

Reaction score
Any word on how this came out?????? I just did the same thing on my 454 R2500 Suburban and now it wont even start..... new cap, rotor and wires and nothing else.....now I have popping, gurgles and backfires out the TBI.

71 cuda man

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like pick up coil in dist is bad for the extra $30 at auto zone just replace the whole damn think & be done with it

stgeorgeguy

Reaction score
I had these same issues (backfiring through intake ect) turned out to be a very lean fuel mix because my fuel pump had gone bad. Just my .02

stevehayes01

Reaction score
Sounds like pick up coil in dist is bad for the extra $30 at auto zone just replace the whole damn think & be done with it

Ok so I got into again and decided to reset timing on the motor and get it to TDC to see where the rotor was sitting..... glad I did that!! When the motor was rebuilt a few years ago by the previous owner they swapped over the Distributor and did not index it like normal... the number 1 plug/tower is sitting in the left rear of the cap and the old cap was marked 100% percent different. I usually do a 1 to 1 wire swap when doing new wires but in this case all my wires broke at the boots when I was pulling them off so in my ignorance thinking that firing order marked on the cap would be right I went with it!

Oh well... truck is now running but developed a new problem now..... the Right side manifold appears to have developed a crack during the removal and reinstall process during a gasket swap so onto headers now!

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A full tune up fixed my problem. I did dizzy cap, rotor button, plugs, wires, and fuel filter.