transmission trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have an 88 Chevy suburban and a few months ago i left work, On the way home the truck started slowing down with the engine needing more throttle to keep up the speed. About halfway home it stopped pulling and when i get out of the truck i noticed a puddle of transmission fluid under the front bumper from external transmission cooler. After getting it towed home, fixing the leak, and refilling the transmission I take it for a test drive. Now it has a problem shifting and no reverse. I now have to high rev it to get it shift and when I put it into reverse on a very flat area an rev it up it very high it will barely moves. Any ideas on what I should do would be great!

Thanks Ben

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely sounds like you cooked it.

Reaction score
Well dang it I was afraid that I might hear that. I think that I have TH 400 and since that would require taking the transmission out anyways, I was wondering about swapping it out with an 700r4 trying to save more fuel with that gas hog as much as possible. Any thoughts on that?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't. You'd probably need a different driveshaft to make it work, the TH400 cases are longer than the 700R4 by about 3 inches. Not to mention you'd be giving up a ton of strength and reliability.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In that case I'd be more concerned about the transfer case interchangeability. Don't the 700R4 output shafts have a different spline count than the TH400?