Transmission temperature gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Comes with the necessary sender to work on these transmissons (4L60E and 4L80E, I would assume it'd work on the 700R4 as well.)

The sender goes into the pressure test port on the transmission. It's just above the shift linkage. Easy to remove and you only lose a couple drips of fluid.

The pressure test port works but isn't proper, the transmission pan is where you should be getting your reading. Also, if you have a 700R4, don't use the test port because it can block fluid flow and it not recommended.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
OK, heres the deal...I installed an Autometer tranny gauge in my truck this morning....Its about 35-40 degrees around here, winters coming...Went into town to run a few errands. Temp on gauge went to about 125F, that was about it. Ran a total of about 10 miles. Is this normal for this time of year?..How long should it take to get up to operating temp this time of year, or is this the normal temp for this time of year?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
The pressure test port works but isn't proper, the transmission pan is where you should be getting your reading. Also, if you have a 700R4, don't use the test port because it can block fluid flow and it not recommended.

Some would argue the oil cooler feed line at the trans out is a better place. You get a representation of the max temp of the oil as it exits the transmission. The pan has cooled oil from the cooler.

It has it's merits though: you know what temp is going in to the transmission as it is taken up from the sump.

It's all pretty close anyways.

Personally, I use the OBDII data and monitor trans temps though that. It's the best representation of the average trans temp and it lets me know if I'm getting anywhere near TCC hot mode since I'm looking at the same data the PCM is.

:)

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Reviving this thread.......I installed my temp gauge in November. It has been a brutally cold winter here, remember its Canada. The temp gauge has never even gotten to 150F, even on a hundred mile trip. I am wondering if it is reading correctly. The directions for the gauge said to use an 18 gauge wire to connect the sender to the gauge. I didnt have any, so I used 14 gauge wire. I am wondering if this might make the gauge not read correctly? Any thoughts on this?

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
That sounds normal, especially if you have an auxiliary oil cooler (small stacked plate radiator, about 12x10 inches, directly behind the grille). The difference between those two wire sizes shouldn't matter at all.

Keep in mind, if you have the sensor installed in the pressure test port, you can expect the reading to be a little low. In my experience, it can show about 20F lower than the reading I get from an infrared gun pointed at the trans oil cooler.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
It has the aux cooler and the sender is installed in the pressure test port. I was told that is where you get the most accurate reading of actual trans temp. Guess I will just have to wait until it gets warmer to see if it goes up some. I will probably change that wire anyways just to ease my own mind...thanks