Transmission Swap Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all,

I know this is probably going to be total and utter sacrilege, but is there an adapter out there to bolt a dodge bellhousing to a chevy 350?

I have a source on a Dodge G56 six speed and would like to run it in my 1990 K2500. The G56 has an integrated bell housing so I can't use an adapter for the transmission to a GM bell housing like the NV4500. I have already found that the NP205 will bolt directly to the G56 after swapping the input shaft on the TC. Until I can find a Cummins to ultimately replace the 350, the G56 would be nicer than the SM465 in it now.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never seen anything like that, you'll have alot of issues to deal with trying to bolt a dodge bellhousing pattern onto a SBC while keeping the alignment and spacing of the trans to crank correct, as well as flywheel/pressure plate concerns. whatever you would have to get would need to be 100% custom fabricated (or likely permanently altering the G56 casing in some way), so you'd be looking at a lot of time and money.

if a cummins is the ultimate goal, why waste all that time and money getting the G56 to work on a SBC, I'd just start saving and build the cummins+trans swap and do all that together. FAR easier, cheaper, and less problematic.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just had to see what the options are. I was originally looking at adapting the SM465 to the Cummins, but the adapter alone would have cost more than a brand new NV4500. I guess just keep to the plan. Thanks for the info!