TPS woes (tbi)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I purchased a bare throttle body from the junkyard to rebuild and swap onto my truck to replace mine with worn out bushings. I got everything done except the tps when I realized that the new tb has a completely different tps setup. That is the only difference between the two tb's. Can I just buy a new tps that fits it and if so what vehicle would it be from? Are the plugs different? My original tps has 3 wires. Of course the truck will not idle now and it will not run well enough to drive it to the store so im stuck until tomorrow.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It does idle now that I plugged in the old tps, its just sitting there though but it has a serious lope like it has one hell of a aggressive cam lol

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I have determined that my truck had the flat style tps and now I need a round style. So I should be able to buy a new one for maybe a 92 model and go to the junkyard and get a connector and splice it onto my harness. Anything I should be aware of? Any brands to stay away from?

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found it in a pile of parts and snatched it up cause it was "exactly" what I needed, a bare tb. Lol. All I needed was a base and didnt want to pay full price.

marsmann

Reaction score
Ok I have determined that my truck had the flat style tps and now I need a round style. So I should be able to buy a new one for maybe a 92 model and go to the junkyard and get a connector and splice it onto my harness. Anything I should be aware of? Any brands to stay away from?

That is pretty much it. There was a slight variation from the 90 into 91 and 92 style. You will see differences between these years. One is taller, more vertical where the other is more horizontal. If you got a TB with the different type, just get a new one for that TB like you said. I highly recommend a new one versus a junkyard unit unless you can test it with a DVOM. They play a critical role with timing, idling and signals to PCM. When splicing wires, make sure they are clean connections. Ideally, solder the union and then wrap with shrink tape over it. But you have the right approach - just get the right type for your TB, splice the wires and rock and roll.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I always try to solder and I only plan on getting the connector used. If I have time I may just repin the connector with my existing wiring. The connector is all the same I suppose though from 91-94?

marsmann

Reaction score
Yes, I think the wiring is the same if I recall, it is just the sensor itself that changes. But to be sure I would just try to find a few pics online of engine bays to make sure.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wire color were the same for me. Install went nice and truck idles just like it should. First time its idled below 1k in about 3 years. Lol. Culprit for high idle was really worn throttle shaft bushings.