Towing with a 4L60e....overdrive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Thanks all...I was thinking the same. I have a big trip down south this winter and just wanted some opinions.....will drive in 3rd,,,Will be using that cheaper US gas anyways, should help some

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
On downhill sections, I will upshift to overdrive. It usually cools the trans down by a few degrees.
Once I'm at the base of the hill, I downshift back to third. I stay in third on level ground.
My loads vary from 4500 to 6000lbs. I get about 12mpg, but I tow in altitude ranges from 4900 to 5300 feet above sea level.

I have a trans temp gauge in my overhead console and I did the B&M cooler upgrade.

TerryKing

Reaction score
After a 4L60 (Same mechanical parts) failure and replacement by the dealer, the very experienced transmission guy who tows himself said, "Always tow in D (3rd)".. So I'm listening to him!

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
After a 4L60 (Same mechanical parts) failure and replacement by the dealer, the very experienced transmission guy who tows himself said, "Always tow in D (3rd)".. So I'm listening to him!
And every person. In this thread lol

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Well there's always that one guy who's like "my pilot light went out in my stove so I filled it with gasoline and shot a roman candle into it to start it and it was fine!"

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Well there's always that one guy who's like "my pilot light went out in my stove so I filled it with gasoline and shot a roman candle into it to start it and it was fine!"
I did that once it was fine