Today.....was not a good day (pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Perfect excuse to pull the heads from your old K1500, check them out to see what condition they are in and as you said redo the top end gaskets using the heads from the K1500 engine.

gnrl

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chalk one up for pulling the head. I've tried to do a live helicoil on a head once (younger and stupider), where I tried real hard to get all the shavings out was diligent about this and that. Still, turns out so many shavings got in there that they jamed the valves and bent them when I tried to start it.

So the head had to come off anyway...PLUS now it needed new valves and a valve job.

There may be many formulas for a job to go to "hell in a handbasket", one of them surely is metal shavings + precision parts.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Chalk one up for pulling the head. I've tried to do a live helicoil on a head once (younger and stupider), where I tried real hard to get all the shavings out was diligent about this and that. Still, turns out so many shavings got in there that they jamed the valves and bent them when I tried to start it.

So the head had to come off anyway...PLUS now it needed new valves and a valve job.

There may be many formulas for a job to go to "hell in a handbasket", one of them surely is metal shavings + precision parts.

iirc, he got it running just fine- not sure how clean he was about it, but the old girl is going, haha

Thanks for the input. And yes, Charles is right, I got 'er going. I cleaned up the threads my way and installed a new set of delcos. Working the very best.