tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not sure where to put this, but looking to put new tires on truck
it has 285 75 r 16
not the stock wheels
now the first guy at sears was going to sell me 265 70 r 16, didnt have vehcle, brought it back, talked to another guy, and he would sell me anything other then the 75
said he couldnt sell me something less then a 75, becuse thats the manifactors recomondation
figured i'de go with a shorter tire, would lower the truck slightly, maybe handle better, steer easier, be a little cheaper, any thoughts?
would it affect the speedometer, odometer too much?

bobfig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well from what i have read is that sears has some kind of policy that they don't install tires that aren't the same size as stock or something. now with that said going with the 70's instead of the 75's you loose 1" in tire diameter and .5" in side wall. also your odometer would be off and be traveling about 2mph slower at 60mph (58mph). having a shorter side wall dose make it handle better as there is less flex in it but with 7.3" of sidewall i don't think it will make much of a difference.

i personally just went from my stock 235/75/15 (~7" side wall) to some 255/55/18 (~5.5" side wall) and saw a drastic improvement in handling and ride quality.

oo and to check tire sizes use this

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Kamd90Chevy

Suthrn1
Reaction score
if it's 4x, most likely that was the factory one. there was an option for a 245/75/16 but chances are it didn't have it. and like bob said there wont be that big of a difference in handling for that. but if your looking to help with the money check discounttire.com

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah, i have a sears card, and a ntb card, each i can pay them off over a year no interest
might just have to go with different wheels if i really want smaller tires, they said i cand go smaller then a 265 on the wheels i have
i think they said rims must be 8 inch wide, someone has the stock rally wheels for sale 6 lug, those should be 7 inch wide right? and work if i ever
lowered

edit, no those are 8x 15, are all the stock rally wheels 6 lug 8 inch or just some?

Last edited:

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well from what i have read is that sears has some kind of policy that they don't install tires that aren't the same size as stock or something. now with that said going with the 70's instead of the 75's you loose 1" in tire diameter and .5" in side wall. also your odometer would be off and be traveling about 2mph slower at 60mph (58mph). having a shorter side wall dose make it handle better as there is less flex in it but with 7.3" of sidewall i don't think it will make much of a difference.

i personally just went from my stock 235/75/15 (~7" side wall) to some 255/55/18 (~5.5" side wall) and saw a drastic improvement in handling and ride quality.

oo and to check tire sizes use this

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

This might be useful information to anyone shopping around for tires...

I work for a major retailer who happens to sell/install tires, and this nonsense started quite a few years back when all the SUV roll over accidents were in the news. If you remember, that led to a lot of recalls and lawsuits. Soon after all of that got started people were suing companies for all sorts of tire related accidents and several companies adopted a policy to only put stock size tires on vehicles. You can roll the rims in there and they'll put anything you want on them, but if they're attached to the car you are limited to what the computer database comes up with. It's a matter of liability.