Tire size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kylebg94

Reaction score
Alright so I just had to put 2 tires on my 95 k1500 4x4. The tires were used, I was wondering since because the tires are two different treads. Would it damage the diff?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a 4runner that had 20s on it. I didn't like it but it was a lease so wasn't gonna mess with it. It road just the same as the 23 Tacoma I have now, with 265/70/16s. So while I agree with how much rubber meets the road, I still think there is more going on. Front end is over 20+ years old, it's prolly worn out and the bigger rims are exaggerating it..

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tires were used, I was wondering since because the tires are two different treads. Would it damage the diff?
There the exact same size
It depends on how different they are and whether or not you have a G80 rear end. With an open diff all that will happen is that your center section will spin more. Check your glove box RPO codes (if they're readable, neither of mine are). If you have "G80" on that list, you don't want a significant difference in tire height or your gov-loc could engage at the wrong time.

Different brands of tires with the same spec are absolutely different sizes, but usually not enough to matter. I have never heard of someone trashing their diff by having mismatched tires.

Skip to the 3:00 mark where I measure the treads.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then you have nothing to fear. If your tire sizes are way out of whack your carrier might spin more and put a little more than normal wear on the bearings.