Thoughts On Seemingly Contradicting Codes CEL Codes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Ignore the double use of Codes in the title, that was an accident.

I've had a check engine light on for a while and knew it was an o2 sensor after the catalytic converter so I just ignored it and pushed it off all winter. Spring's here now and I figured it's time I got this fixed.

The codes are p0137 and p0138 (low voltage to bank 1, sensor 2 and high voltage to bank 1 sensor 2 respectively).

If only one of these codes were thrown it would make sense, however how can the same sensor possibly throw a code for low voltage and high voltage? Shorted wire...? Just a bad o2 sensor (I'm thinkin not but don't know for sure)?

Any thoughts?

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
So what exactly should I do to fix that? I'm getting sick of the check engine light always being on

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
bad O2 sensors can be all over the place, change it.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clear it, drive it, see which one comes back. I would expect a possible broken wire that's intermittently open and then shorted. Inspect the wiring and pins closely for damage.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be changing the o2 in the near future to see if it helps. I don't think it's an old o2 though and I'm really suspecting wiring issues but I'll change it anyways.

Clear it, drive it, see which one comes back. I would expect a possible broken wire that's intermittently open and then shorted. Inspect the wiring and pins closely for damage.

I did clear and drive it and both codes came back, which led me to this post. I'm gonna look into the wiring though cause I suspect you're right on that call. Thanks.