Thinking of doing a Cummins swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am thinking about putting a Cummins in my '00 c2500. The truck currently has a 350/4L80E and I would like to put in a 12valve/nv4500.

I have a couple questions and would love some input from people who are familiar with the swap.

Ideally I would use a 2wd dodge nv4500. Can I use stock GMT400 hydraulic clutch parts?

As far as engine placement goes, can I mount the trans using gmt400 mounts and then fabricate motor mounts or does the whole shabang have to be moved back further?

Im hoping to find a non intercooled 1st Gen just the keep the swap simple.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
IIRC, there was someone who put a dodge bell housing on a chevy trans, used dodge flywheel and pressure plate, chevy clutch disc, and the dodge release setup. Not sure what they used for a pilot bushing. They already had a chevy nv4500 tho, and it went in a 4x4, so the chevy transfer would alerady fit it.

95Suburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like crummins, I used autoworld for everything I needed. As for the hydraulics, I have heard of people splitting the system, Chevy master and dodge slave. But it is a sealed system, so I didn't go that route. I used all dodge on mine. Had to fab an adapter plate to hold the dodge master on the firewall. But I also already owned an upgraded hydraulic system.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

95Suburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you plan on keeping the engine bone stock? No power upgrades at all?

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for all the responses! At this point Im trying to figure out if its worth it for me to do this swap or do a lsx swap or just get a different truck entirely. I have experience with LS stuff so I know that wouldnt be a problem but I would really like a diesel. I scoured 4btswaps.com for hours the other day and found alot of good information. Still weighing my options though because even if I do the swap the truck is still 2wd and next to impossible to find lift components.

Do you plan on keeping the engine bone stock? No power upgrades at all?

100% bone stock is fine with me. Im talking no pump tuning or anything. The way I view these motors is that the more aftermarket stuff you bolt on them the less reliable they become.