Thermostat / Possible Coolant Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the other day my truck got a bit warm, found out I was low on coolant. And my thermostat has always run around 160* which is low, I know that and have known that. So today, I put in a new thermostat and again, it kicked up to about 210 then immediatly dropped back down to around 160. But with the recent issues of having to put coolant in the truck is it possible that I'm having a coolant leak which is causing my thermostat to stay so low? Or is my new thermostat bad too? I'm starting to get pissed having to constantly drop money into this truck.

Also - have any of you guys had problems with lugs locking up or crossing threads? I have replaced 5 lugs on the left front, and 2 on the right front.

71 cuda man

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you do a pressure check to see where coolant is going? Check cap also.
As for the lugs how do the threads look in lugs & on the studs are they enlongated? last time you got tires someone might of used an impact to zip um on & over torqued um.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Greg my truck ever since the motor swap that was this time last year has always ran 160 on a 195 thermostat, I just top of my water once every 2 months and keep on trucking. Not saying your situation is the same, but do a pressure check and go from there.

Marcos

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is the same way, I thought it was from my Edelbrock intake manifold, I am on the 3rd thermostat, then I hooked up the scan tool and its reading right on the pcm, but not on the gauge. I also have to fill my radiator every few months but its not super low, maybe a quart fill is.

unstable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the strangest problem with my father in-laws extended cab...I don't remember the year, but it was this generation of truck.

She kept randomly overheating. I changed out the thermostat, I snagged a heavy-duty radiator from the junkyard...I replaced the water-pump...and it would still do the thing that you're talking about. I'd be driving, she'd shoot up to boiling. I'd stop, let her relax...usually I'd carefully remove the cap...hop back in and drive and she was fine. I was thinking that it might be heads/head gasket so I had that checked with the turkey-baster (chemical test that checks for exhaust in the coolant)...nothing. My father in-law says there's nothing wrong with it, I disagree but I could never put my finger on the cause of that problem

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, alright guys, so my plan now is to check the pressure and scan the PCM to make sure that the truck is running right and possibly the gauge is off.

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
Mine has never ran at "operating temp" according to the temp gauge. I put a scan tool on it and it is running at 210. I even replaced the temp sensor and nothing happened. Every once and awhile the gauge will read accuratly but thats rare.

I too am leaking some coolant cuz I can smell it but there is never a puddle. Mine is barely leaking from the heater hose connector on top of the intake manifold. Im sure if you pressure test yours you will find it but as you are testing it look there too.