The Big Three Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
My question on this is what size wire should you use..........I've seen several diff. sizes used. I guess it depends on the demand on the elec. system.

TUCSONDUDE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks nice! Why do you have a fuse though?

If a positive wire shorts out or has to much of a load, it will eventually heat up so much it will burn/start a fire. A GND wire can also fail catastrophically from an excessive load, its it just less likely as often the body/other wires are in parrallel and relatively the same potential.

From batt + to alt plus, the fuse is mostly to protect the wire from excessive load. if either end shorts out you will still have that potential.

on our trucks 0/1 gauge is over kill, unless your running a huge stereo/winch etc. Bad advice to folllow but i would personally not bother fusing 0/1 on the big three unless you have some major aftermarket accessories.

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like what was said above. Its to protect the wire. Im using 0gauge for future mods. Im planning on upgrade my alt to a h\o alt. Then Im planning on a second battery and a winch with more fog/driving lights so its just for the future plans

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
I have mine from alt to battery, negative to ground on frame, then negative to ground on the motor near the crank sensor.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If a positive wire shorts out or has to much of a load, it will eventually heat up so much it will burn/start a fire. A GND wire can also fail catastrophically from an excessive load, its it just less likely as often the body/other wires are in parrallel and relatively the same potential.

From batt + to alt plus, the fuse is mostly to protect the wire from excessive load. if either end shorts out you will still have that potential.

on our trucks 0/1 gauge is over kill, unless your running a huge stereo/winch etc. Bad advice to folllow but i would personally not bother fusing 0/1 on the big three unless you have some major aftermarket accessories.

Good stuff!^^^.
On both my trucks, that woven bare wire ground from the chassis to the block were dead. Before I knew about 'The Big 3', I changed that ground on my '98 to 4ga. The 'ole man, a mechanic for many years, said that that was just dumb. "Go get the 'real' one from a parts store." Well, after I joined GMT400, & found out about TB3, I showed that to him, & ended up doing it on his 3/4t ECLB 460 4X4 Ford (a POS IMHO!) with dual batteries. Says he's had way less battery probs when he goes fishing/hunting/camping. Now all his old old fart buddies want me to do theirs!

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
Can't wait to do mine. It'll have to wait till after Christmas though