tbi chevy barely starts, runs very rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adb5274.ab

Reaction score
94 tbi 5.7
been buildin this truck for a few months
replaced: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv valve
full length headers, dual exhaust, cat delete
fuel pump and tank
cleaned all grounds
swapped auto out for 5 speed

now the truck pretty much wont start. will kinda try
to start when pumping gas alot and sometimes will
but misses bad and barely runs but cant get it started
at all now. traced all plug wires and they are landed in
the right spots. ohmed out coolant sensor and is correct,
replaced IAC valve. checked codes and only got 59, 67,
and 82 which are for the trans. checked vacuum lines
including MAP line.

not sure where to go from here, hopefully someone can
help!!!

adb5274.ab

Reaction score
Do you have spark? Will it run if you pour fuel in the throttle bores?

it stumbles and trys to start when the gas is pumped alot from in the cab but floods bad so
im assuming its getting spark. im new to these tbi's but acts like a carbed motor thats out of
time but i dont know how it would got so outa time, ran fine before i parked it. i just got the
ignition module checked at advanced auto and it passed twice. im going to look for my old
cap and rotor tomorrow and if i still have them im going to swap them back in to see if maybe
i got a bad part, they are both ac delco tho. it is flooding so bad that gas is leaking from my collector gaskets, most likely from me pumping the gas so much trying to get it running becuase its the only way it even trys to start when the gas is pumped

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
On a TBI engine, pumping the gas does not flood the engine. If it is flooding, you should be able to hold your foot to the floor and start it. This puts it it "clear flood" mode, and the injectors will turn off until the pedal is released.

adb5274.ab

Reaction score
I don't hold it to the floor, just pump it very quickly, always seemed to be the trick with troublesome carbed motors, just kinda stuck with me I guess. anyways it is def flooded. would a bad pick up coil be a some what intermitted problem or would it fail completely? im trying to get a game plan for after work. ill ohm out the leads on the pick up since I have the cap off already.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Pickup coil would not cause it to flood. Pumping a TBI motor does not do anything, there is no accelerator pump to spray fuel. CTS can cause major flooding issues.

adb5274.ab

Reaction score
I ohmed it out a few weeks ago I believe it was some where in this area
2238 ohms @ 86 deg. F. or 30 deg. C.
2796 ohms @ 77 deg. F. or 25 deg. C.

assuming these are accurate then the CTS should be good but I can check it again. any way the fuel pressure regulator would cause a flooding condition? or should I just buy a CTS and try it, only $15

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
where are you checking ohms at? i know all my sensors ohmed fine in multiple locations before my computer took a , id see if you can use one of the fancy autozone scanners to see what your computer says your reading all your sensors at. youd think with an issue like this youd throw some sort of code, try clearing them and seeing what gets pulled back up.