Sub for '90 standard cab?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OlSmokie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would love to put a sub-woofer in my '90 C1500, but there is not much room. I'm a big guy so my seat is always back as far as it goes so that does not leave a lot of room back there.
Maybe under the seat? I would love to see some pictures of a set-up that will fit.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I have mine under my captain's seat. If you have a bench, then you could probably fit a bigger one or even two side-by-side. Mine's a Pioneer 8" shallow mount and it does everything I need it to do.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a link to my thread. http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?5185-Just-picked-up-a-sub

Shane B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got one of those I my GMT 900 crew cab and its plenty of bass for me.I can imagine how it would sound in a regular cab! I have about the same size box also.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Heres mine.... two eights (I orginally thought they were tens but I got a great deal o the setup so it still worked out fine) my seats are back as far as they will go.... like even without the boxes they wouldnt go anyfurther back, and since ihave adjustable backs on my seats im able to lean thw back against the box and it all just fits very nicely

Also this pic was taken directly after theowing them in... my wiring has since been cleaned up.

Also in addition the the subs I store a small toolbox, a box of nuts and bolts, my jack and tire tools, and a set of wrenches behind and under the seats.

OlSmokie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's exactly what I was looking for. I looked at behind the seat boxes like bow61509 has, but I have a plastic tray back there and I would need to remove it to put one in. My truck is exactly like it rolled out of the factory in 1990 other than the sound system, (and I made sure it was installed with plug-in connectors so that no wires were cut) so the under the seat was my first choice. A single 8" sub is all the extra base I need to round out my sound. I have a bench seat but I think there is room for something that size. Thank you for the pics.

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I want to get one for mine too. I want to do mine under the seat on both sides, maybe! But I want it to hit pretty hard!

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
yeah I took the plastic tray out of mine

Sent from my static android

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I have a 10" Kenwood SVC slim-line sub in a box built as per gmcyukondriver's specs, under the passenger side of the bench seat in my '97. The sub is rated for 600w, & I have a (claimed) 700w amp (real world=350w) powering it.
I also lined that box with 'Fat-Mat'. For what it is, that sub & box is really surprising!
It really helped to fill in the sound. The large amount of sound deadening in that truck made a huge dif. in the sound quality.
But, it's no match for the 10" DVC competition series (non-slim) in my '98. That truck has buckets & the sub sits behind the console. Dual Voice Coil, bridged, wired down to 2 ohms from a 500w amp is more than sufficient in a reg. cab!

When I got my '98, in the back of truck mags, I saw plexi-glass rear windows advertised & thought, why would anyone want one of those? Everytime you washed the truck or cleaned the windows, it'd be getting scratched to ****!
So, one day I'm out in the boonies, playing with the gain & other amp controls, dialing it in. Had it cranked pretty good! Stood back about 20' from the truck, and caught a reflection off of the rear window. Holy crap! The whole rear wall & back window was flexing back & forth about 3/8" either way!!! Yikes! Now I understood the need for a plexi-glass back window! That glass window was on the verge of shattering!
A slim-line sub under the seat is no match for that, but it is a BIG improvement over what the 4X6's & 6.5's can put out alone.

Don't know if I have before, but I'd like to thank gmcyukondriver for the specs on the box for the slim-line. I hate woodwork, (prefer steel!) & I never would of attempted building a box without his specs for that. It work out very well!

JJHUSSY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My seat is one notch from the farthest position back. Wish I could move its all of the way back, but I have accepted the compromise.

I have two ported ten in "truck" boxes from Visions with Alpine type S subs in them.
1000 Watt JL audio JX1000.1 under the drivers side of my bench with a four farad cap, and a 500 watt two channel amp under the passenger side of the bench.

Right on the trans tunnel I have my distribution blocks, everything is concealed and it looks factory, until you fold the seat foreward. (Still have room for my socket set in case something happens!)

If you want pics I can post them tomorrow!